In 1883, Wagner College was founded upon the need to be part of an under served community. Over the years, this community has changed and grown; however, Wagner’s commitment to the community has remained. Today, Wagner College is proud of its long years of serving a diverse community, and seeks to build on this foundation of valuing and embracing difference. Wagner College seeks to recruit students from all groups: religious, ethnic, racial, sexual, demographic and cultural.
As a long-standing member of the New York City community, Wagner College is actively reaching out to the Jewish community by establishing the Chai Society, dedicated to the strengthening of ties between the College and the Jewish community. All contributions will support the mission of the Chai Society.
The Chai Society Strives to:
- Strengthen the connection between the Staten Island community and Wagner College;
- enrich Jewish programming and the Jewish student population at Wagner College; and
- attract and retain a growing Jewish presence at Wagner College.
Funds raised by the Chai Society help support:
- All Jewish programming for students and the community; (including lectures, speakers’ series, and study sessions)
- a student Hillel;
- a Jewish Scholar-in-Residence and Programming Director;
- credit courses in Jewish studies that raise awareness of Jewish identity, theology, and philosophy; and
- credit bearing partnerships with institutions in Israel (Hebrew University)
The Members of the Chai Society of Wagner College represent a group of community leaders from Staten Island, and the New York metropolitan area. There are three types of membership: Charter, Sustaining, and Friend.
Charter Member: Charter Member families of the Society are eligible to enroll by making an annual contribution of $1,800 .
Sustaining Member: Sustaining Member families of the Chai Society can apply for membership by making an annual contribution of $1,000.
Friend: Become a Friend of the Chai Society by making a gift of $100 to $999.
Founding the Chai Society
Individuals committed to the partnership Wagner College has established with the Staten Island community comprise the Chai Society. Thanks to their efforts, Wagner College provides students, faculty, staff and our local community with events, speakers, historical and contemporary perspectives on Jewish life as well as perspectives on the contributions of the Jewish community to our vibrant society.