- PhD Anthropology, University of North Carolina
- MA Anthropology, Arizona State University
- BA Anthropology, University of Delaware
I am a broadly trained anthropologist specializing in the study human skeletal remains excavated from archaeological sites. By examining skeletal indicators of diet and disease and interpreting these data within archaeological and biocultural contexts, I investigate the dietary and health consequences of sociopolitical change and how changes in diet and health affect economic, social, and political lives. My research areas include the Moche Valley of North Coastal Peru and the Susquehanna Valley of New York and Pennsylvania.
In addition to my academic experiences, I have worked as a applied archaeologists (CRM) throughout the Middle Atlantic region, and as an osteologist (NAGPRA) at the New York State Museum.
- AN 101 Introduction to Anthropology
- AN 202 Biological Anthropology and Human Evolution
- AN 235 North American Archaeology: The Prehistory of Native Americans (D)
- AN 240 The Raw and the Cooked: Anthropological Perspectives on Food (I)
- AN 241 Forensic Anthropology and Human Osteology
- AN291 Advanced Human Osteology
- AN 342 The Dead Speak: Bioarchaeology and the Archaeology of Death (D)
- AN 400 Senior Reflective Tutorial
Read "Piecing Together the Past," a story on my research in the Wagner Magazine.
- Gagnon CM, Billman BR, Carcelén J, Reinhard KJ (2013) Tracking Shifts in Coca Use in the Moche Valley: Analysis of Oral Health Indicators and Dental Calculus Microfossils. Ñawpa Pacha 33:193-213.
- Gagnon CM, Wiesen C (2013) Using General Estimating Equations to Analyze Oral Health in the Moche Valley of Perú. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 23:557-572.
- Lambert PM, Gagnon CM, Billman BR, Carcelén J, Katzenberg MA, Tykot RH (2012) Bone Chemistry at Cerro Oreja: A Stable Isotopic Perspective on the Development of a Regional Economy in the Moche Valley, Peru in the Early Intermediate Period. Latin American Antiquity 23:144-166.
- Gagnon, Celeste Marie (2008) Bioarchaeological Investigations of Pre-State Life at Cerro Oreja. In Arqueología Mochica Nuevos Enfoques, edited by L.J. Castillo, H. Bernier, G. Lockard, and J. Rucabado. Fondo Editorial de la Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú e Institut Français d'Études Andines, Lima.
- Gagnon, Celeste Marie (2004) Food and the State: Bioarchaeological Investigations of Diet in the Moche Valley of Perú. Dental Anthropology 17:45-54.
- Gagnon, Celeste Marie (2004) Stability within the Context of Change: Native American Health during Contact in the Lower Susquehanna Valley, Pennsylvania. Archaeology of Eastern North America 32:101-121.
- Baker, Brenda J & Celeste Marie Gagnon CM (1998) Inventory of Native American Human Remains from the Engelbert Site, Tioga County, New York (NYSM Site #171). On file The New York State Museum. Report submitted to the Archeology and Ethnography Program, National Park Service, Washington, DC.
- Gagnon, CM, Matlak C (2104) “Through the Student’s Lense: Documenting Engaged, International Research. Innovation Celebration: Teaching and Learning Symposium, Staten Island, NY.
- Gagnon, CM, Richardson N, Andrus CF, Ida J (2014) “Experimental Chicha Brewing: Implications for Interpreting Skeletal δ18O Values in the Andes.” Society for American Archaeology annual meeting, Austin, TX.
- Gibaldi N, Gagnon CM (2013) “Trauma in the Tombs at Huacas de Moche.” Northeast Conference on Andean Archaeology and Ethnohistory, New Haven, CT.
- Gagnon CM, Turner BL, Tykot RH (2012) “A Bioarchaeological Approach to Gendering Consumption in the Moche Valley.” Society for American Archaeology annual meeting, Memphis, TN.
- Tobiasen R, Gagnon CM (2012) “How the Children Grow: Tracking the Health Impacts of Sociopolitical Change in Prehistoric Peru.” Eastern Colleges Science Conference, Wayne, NJ.
- Scott, Sarah J, Celeste Marie Gagnon & Michael D. Scholl MD (2011) Archaeology, Community-Based Research, and College Society at Wagner College. Staten Island 350 Academic Conference and Education Symposium, Staten Island, NY.
- Gagnon, Celeste Marie (2010) Reconstructing Diet and Climate in the Moche Valley, Stable Isotopic Analyses.” Northeast Conference on Andean Archaeology and Ethnohistory, Madison, NJ.
- Dietrich, Alexa & Celeste Marie Gagnon (2010) Student Retention: Using Exploratory Data Analysis to Frame the Questions. Summer Institute for the New American College's and Universities, New York.
- Gagnon, Celeste Marie (2007) Coca Chewing and Social Inequality in the Moche Valley, Perú. American Association of Physical Anthropologists annual meeting , Philadelphia, PA.
- Tykot, Robert H. and Celeste Gagnon (2006) Dietary and Political Change at the Regional Center of Center of Cerro Oreja in the Moche Valley of Northern Peru. International Symposium on Archaeometry, Quebec, QC.
- Simon, Sarah K. & Celeste Marie Gagnon (2005) The Effect of Migration on the Dental and Skeletal Health of Protohistoric and Early Historic Susquehannock Indians, AD 1575-1675. American Association of Physical Anthropologists annual meeting, Milwaukee, WI.
- Gagnon, Celeste Marie (2004) Food and the State: Bioarchaeological Investigations of Diet in the Moche Valley of Perú. American Association of Physical Anthropologists annual meeting, Tampa FL.
- Gagnon, Celeste Marie (2001) Health, Politics and Population Movement in the Susquehanna Valley. Society of American Archaeology annual meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Gagnon, Celeste Marie (1997) Stability in the Face of Change: Health During the European Contact Period. American Association of Physical Anthropologists annual meeting , St. Louis, MO.
- Gagnon, Celeste Marie (1996) The Effects of European Contact on Native American Health in the Lower Susquehanna Valley. Eastern States Archaeological Federation annual meeting Huntington, WV.
- Gagnon, Celeste Marie (1995) A Possible Case of Blastomycosis from Proto-historic Pennsylvania. Paleopathology Association annual meeting Oakland, CA.