Born on Staten Island, New York, in 1952, Bill Murphy attended public school there, and later studied at Brooklyn College, the School of Visual Arts (BFA), The Art Students League, and Vermont College (MFA).
At the School of Visual Arts he studied with, among others, Jim Kearns, Herb Katzman, Marshall Arisman, Louise Bourgoise and the great American illustrator Robert Weaver.
He has taught at Wagner College on Staten Island, New York since 1984, and is currently an Associate Professor of Art. View Prof. Murphy's web site.
Bill Murphy’s work is included in the following collections:
- The British Museum
- The New York Public Library
- The Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences
- The Parkersburgh Arts Center (West Virginia)
- The Newark Public Library
- The New York Transit Museum
- Westinghouse Corporation
- Nassau Community College (Long Island, New York)
- New York Historical Society