One graduating Wagner College student will be chosen to deliver a brief inspirational speech at the College’s ceremony on May 19, 2017.
APPLICATION AND REHEARSAL INFORMATION
Students interested in competing for this honor must follow the following instructions:
- Submit the following materials to Vice President Ruta Shah-Gordon (email@example.com) by March 3, 2017 at 5 PM:
- An updated resume
- Your intended commencement speech on a word document. The speech must be no longer than 3 spoken minutes in length. Each page of the document should be numbered, but no name or other identifying information should be identifiable in the document. Please name your document LastnameFirstnameSpeech.
- Please note that student applicants for this process must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Be available for auditions during the day on Friday, March 31 and/or Monday, April 3,2017 (exact time to be determined). Authors of selected speeches will present their speech to a selection committee composed of staff, faculty and students. The committee will then choose one- two speeches for presentation at Commencement.
- If you are selected, you must commit to meeting with the speaker coach for a minimum of 2 hours between April 14 and April 28, 2017.
- Be available for speaker rehearsal on Friday, April 28 or Monday, May 1, 2017 (exact time to be determined).
- Be present for commencement on Friday, May 19, 2017. During the commencement ceremony, the speaker will be introduced by the Student Government Association President.
COMMENCEMENT SPEECH GUIDELINES
The following are suggested guidelines for the Wagner College Student Commencement speech. While not all speeches follow these guidelines, most do.
Structure and Flow
- Speeches open with greetings to the President, Board of Trustees, administration, faculty, alumni, and the fellow members of the Class of 2017, with special thanks to parents, friends and loved ones who made it all possible.
- The speaker should then respond to the question: How has your experience at Wagner allowed you to be engaged civically, academically, or interculturally for the greater social good?
- Speeches then transition towards their closing, often with an energetic call to action. Remember that this is a commencement ceremony, and that it marks people moving forward and beginning new lives.
Characteristics and Length
Effective speeches are rich in content, have a strong theme, tell compelling stories, and ultimately inspire the listeners. They should be inclusive and demonstrate passion, conviction, and sincerity. The speech’s perspective should not reflect that of a single person or campus department, but all those who are graduating. Please remember not to use offensive or inappropriate language in the speech. The speech needs to be delivered in less than 3 minutes.