Peer Leaders are upper class students who play an important role in welcoming new students to Wagner College through their active participation in the Orientation and Link Programs. They are a select group of student leaders who are trained to serve as a social and academic guides for new students. Peer leaders aid in the transition to college life by serving as mentors and resources for new students. Each peer leader works closely with the faculty advisor, assists students in moving into the residence halls, and is involved in helping students discover the many activities and organizations that students can connect with at Wagner College. The Link Program “Links” a Peer Leader with a group of incoming students during the summer to reach out to the students and answer any questions they might have before Orientation.
- Candidates must have a grade point average of 2.5 or above.
- It is suggested the Peer Leaders not be enrolled in summer school session during the Orientation period. Those who are employed must inform their employers that they will not be able to work during training hours and during Orientation weekend.
- Candidates must complete the application and return it no later than Thursday, February 15th at 3pm to the Wagner Union, room 215.
- Candidates must have two reference forms completed and returned to the Co-Curricular Programs Office, Wagner Union, room 215 by February 15th at 3pm. One of these references must be completed by a Wagner faculty or staff member.
- Candidates must sign up for an interview in the Co-Curricular Program Office (WU 215) when he/she turns in his/her application. A member of the Campus Life Staff and a former Peer Leader will interview all students.
Preference will be given to Wagner College students who have demonstrated the following:
- Helping fellow students be successful at Wagner College.
- Academic success at Wagner College measured by a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- History of student leadership/involvement in campus life.
- Sensitivity to and interest in issues of diversity and community service.
- Interest in working closely as a team member with the Orientation staff.
- Enthusiasm for Wagner College, its’ students, staff, faculty and academic and co-curricular life.
- Ability to model appropriate behavior, goal setting and mentoring for new students.
- Demonstrated commitment to positively representing Wagner College.
The Peer Leader is directly involved in all aspects of the program and will:
1. Serve as a positive role model for all new students.
2. Abide by and enforce all college rules and regulations.
3. Serve as a resource person for and work closely with a Faculty Advisor.
4. Be available to answer students’ questions regarding any social/academic concerns
5. Attend formal training sessions prior to Orientation sessions.
6. Attend Orientation planning and evaluation sessions.
7. Assist students in moving into the Residence halls.
8. Be responsible for all students in advisement groups during the entire weekend.
9. Distribute schedules and other materials.
10. Attend all meals with students.
11. Attend all social events scheduled for new students.
12. Be alcohol and substance free for the entire Orientation period.
13. Aid with any emergencies that may occur.
14. Maintain continuous contact with the advisement group throughout the year.
15. Attend meetings as scheduled by the Deans’ Office and Co-Curricular Programs throughout the year.
16. Peer Leaders will serve in the Link Program beginning in the summer and throughout the remainder of the year
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 3 PM, Thursday, February 15, 2012
Please submit online or return to CCP Office, Wagner Union, room 215
*any questions should be directed to Co-Curricular Programs, ext 3277.