Your site menu is the main navigational tool for visitors to your site. It's best to have no more than six main menu items, and then organize child pages under each one. Once the menu for your site is created via the steps below, you will rarely need to adjust those settings. Only administrators have access to menus.
Creating the menu
- Build your site menu first via Widgets > Menus.
- Enter a new menu name. This will not show up anywhere, so make it descriptive.
- Click "create menu."
- Check the pages that will be the main menu items, for example "Academic Programs" or "Faculty & Staff." These pages should not have a parent item.
- Click "Add to Menu."
- Under each page, check the box, "Automatically populate with child pages."
- Save your menu.
Adding the menu to your site
Now that the menu is created, go into widgets and add "Custom Menu [advanced]." Select the menu you just created and check the box "Use top parent item title." Make sure this widget is at the top of the list.
If you need to add or change a main menu item, go back to Widgets > Menus. You can check the page or category you want and click "add to menu," you can drag and drop the existing menu items to rearrange the order, or you can delete existing menu items. Don't forget to save the menu before you close.
Academic department menus
Academic departments should use the following standardized menu items. This will help our website be consistent across departments, and make it easier to navigate. Each department may add an additional one or two menu items, depending on its needs.
- Academic Programs (or "Undergraduate Programs" AND "Graduate Programs")
- Faculty & Staff
- Student Resources (or "News and Events")