Come join this fun profession and be a part of what Fortune Magazine & ABC NEWS.com states as the 4th hottest job in the U.S. at a national average of $34 an hour. Whether a career move or for your own personal knowledge get all the information you need to become a CERTIFIED PERSONAL TRAINER. This challenging course is taught over a 5-week period for better retention and skill competency. The National Exam is held on the 6th week. This course is formatted as a 60-hour program and is comprised of 15 hours of lecture, 15 hours of hands on practical training and a 30-hour internship that networks many graduates right into a job. The course prepares you for success with key topics that include biomechanics, exercise physiology, fitness testing, equipment usage and health assessment. CPR/AED is needed to receive the certificate. W.I.T.S. is the only major certifying body in the country providing comprehensive practical training and internship components. Textbook is required and not included in course fees.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
1. Understand and describe basic anatomy, kinesiology and exercise physiology.
2. Assess an individual’s level of fitness using ACSM guidelines.
3. Design and customize exercise programs.
4. Demonstrate proper execution of resistance, cardio-respiratory and flexibility exercises.
5. Identify and demonstrate at least one strength exercise for every major muscle group.
6. Explain ACSM and AHA recommendations for cardiovascular exercise.
7. Sit for the NBFE, National Board of Fitness Examiners, Exam.
Required Text: Fitness Professional’s Handbook, 6th Ed. by Edward Howley & Dixie Thompson. Call 1-888-330-9487 to order textbook.
Students must earn a score of 70% or higher on the written exam and in each of the five section practical exams. Attendance is required, and students are only allowed one excused absence. Students with an excused absence must schedule a make-up session and complete any work assigned. Adult CPR is required for the certification to be issued. Students are also required to complete a 30-hour internship. All items must be completed within 12 months of the original course start date. The renewal period is based on the original course completion dates.
March 16 – April 27
Saturdays, 9am – 4pm
Tuition: $799 (Textbook not included.)