New Educators at Wagner (NEW) is a unique post-graduate teacher development program that fosters transformational learning among early career educators. Using school-based mentoring, cohorts of communities of practice, peer-assisted learning, action research, and a blend of online and face-to-face experiences, participants receive the targeted supports they need both to address the daily uncertainties of being new teachers and to re-conceptualize their professional self-definitions.
NEW reflects the conceptual framework and philosophy of the Wagner College education program, engaging school and community partnerships, blending theory and practice, integrating academic and clinical instruction, and pursuing pedagogical content knowledge. Our mission is to
- Retain new teachers
- Develop teacher leadership at school and district levels
- Enhance teacher quality to improve student learning
- Facilitate transformative learning
NEW provides a year-long, job-embedded professional development experience including
- A series of 18 two-hour cohort sessions with the NEW director
- A tailored curriculum to meet the needs of the current cohort
- Public presentation of action research projects that document participants’ instructional transformation
- Participation in NEW Awards selection of and celebration for experienced educators
- The program can meet professional development hour requirements and/or graduate credits that apply to salary differential programs.