Housing Status & Financial Aid

A student's housing status will impact his/her financial aid eligibility. Because total costs are different for resident students versus commuters, the Office of Financial Aid takes those costs into account when developing a financial aid package.

In addition, institutional funds such as grants or scholarships may be contingent upon a student's housing status.  Typically, if a student is awarded a resident grant upon entry into Wagner, it will indicate the grant may be adjusted based upon change in housing status.  Please keep this information in mind as you are deciding whether or not to live on campus.  It is strongly recommended that you contact the Office of Financial Aid prior to making a decision about a change in housing status.

Residency Requirement

Wagner College is committed to the development of the whole student, both in and out of the classroom environment.  Living in residence offers unmatched opportunities for growth and development as students learn to live in a community of their peers, interact with students from different backgrounds, and navigate personal and academic challenges.   A four-year Residency Requirement furthers the College’s interest in providing a traditional residential college experience for students, positively impacts the feeling of community on campus, and connects students with their peers and with co-curricular involvement opportunities.

Beginning with the Class of 2015, the Office of Residential Education at Wagner College implemented a four-year Residency Requirement.  The four-year Residency Requirement only applies to students who enter the college as residential students.  Students who enter the college as commuters may become residents at any point during their college career, but are not bound by the four-year requirement.

Students can submit an application to be released from the residency requirement if they meet one of the following parameters:

  • A student has a medical need that cannot be accommodated in a Wagner College residential facility
  • A student is a lifelong learner or non-traditional student
  • A student is married, in a civil union, or in a domestic partnership
  • A student has a permanent residence within 25 miles of Wagner College
  • A student is financially unable to afford campus housing
  • Additional exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Office of Residential Education based on extenuating circumstances

Students wishing to be considered for release from the Residency Requirement must complete a short Resident to Non-Resident application (below), provide formal documentation as proof of their situation, and include a letter that demonstrates how and why they meet one of the aforementioned qualifications for release.  Please note that a release from this agreement is not guaranteed.

If you have any questions, please e-mail resed@wagner.edu or call the Residential Education office at 718-390-3420.