Peer Education Program at Wagner College:
Students Empowering for Change (SECs)
Students Empowering for Change (SECs) is a group dedicated to facilitating and shaping an evolving, safe, and inclusive campus environment by developing peer to peer communication. This group seeks to empower peers by providing information and support about responsible decision making and positive role-modeling to help improve the Wagner campus community. This is a peer education group advised by Campus Life administrators. Four subgroups within SECs focus on the following peer-to-peer educational topics: alcohol and drug education, diversity, wellness, and healthy relationships. All members are nationally certified through the Bacchus and Gamma Network.
- Applicants must have a 2.5 GPA and be in good disciplinary standing. First year students and transfer students without a Wagner GPA can apply to be a Peer Educator; their membership will be contingent upon a GPA check.
- Applicants must complete the application.
- Candidates must have two references. One of these references must be completed by a Wagner faculty or staff member.
- Candidates must sign up for an interview in the Health Center (Campus Hall, Room 127) or by calling (718) 390-3158 when he/she turns in his/her application. A member of the Health & Wellness staff and a former Peer Educator will interview all students.
- Preference will be given to Wagner College students who have demonstrated the following:
- Helping fellow students be successful at Wagner College or while you were in high school.
- Assisting and contributing to a positive peer-to-peer environment.
- Full Time enrollment at Wagner, must possess a 2.5 GPA and be in good disciplinary
- Have a history of student leadership/working with peers/groups in high school or college, and
- involvement in campus life.
- Sensitivity to and interest in issues such as relationship building, alcohol and other drug
- topics, diversity, and wellness.
- Enthusiasm and commitment for working on a team and making a difference.
- Ability to be a resource and refer students to campus services.
- Ability to model appropriate behavior for peers.
- Availability to attend Peer Educator Training and meetings throughout the academic year are
- mandatory. The training schedule will be made available during the fall semester.
If you have any questions, please call the Center for Health & Wellness at 390-3158 or email us at email@example.com.
Peer Educator General Responsibilities:
A Peer Educator at Wagner:
- Serve as a positive role model for their peers.
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA and be in good disciplinary standing.
- Serve as a resource and role model as a peer educator regarding safety and wellness for individual students and the community.
- Practice confidentiality and discretion as defined by the program.
- Attend formal training sessions as scheduled.
- Plan at least one larger group program and several subgroup programs during the academic year as well as participate and support in programs as they relate to Orientation 2014.
- Attend weekly meetings as scheduled.
- Maintain ongoing communication within the Peer Education Program with students and advisors.
Please submit this form to apply for a Peer Educator Position at Wagner College.