The Financial Aid Department is seeking an ideal candidate to fulfill the full-time Financial Aid Counselor position.
JOB PURPOSE: To assist with the administration of the Office of Financial Aid and act as Lead processor.
- Meet with parents and students to discuss financial aid options available to them and their best possible alternatives to financing the cost of education at Wagner College and/or Study Abroad
- Coordinate, evaluate, create financial aid packages for the incoming and current student population
- Processing of federal, state, private and institutional funds for all students
- Import and export of files to via EDCONNECT, EDExpress, Jenzabar and FileZilla (FTP)
- Maintenance of files in EDExpress
- Student Employment Program functions including coordination of the Job Order, Referral system, collection of the I-9 and W-4 forms and guiding students through the Student Employment process, update the Job Database and Online Timesheet system
- Act as liaison to other campus personnel regarding Student Employment Program and College Work Study payroll.
- Coordinate processing and release of disbursements, review of reports, etc for Direct Loans via the CX Loan Module
- Act as liaison to the Bursar’s Office in relation to Direct Loans
- Responsible for documenting and updating of policies and procedures
- Preparation and review of Award Letters
- Create and maintain the Office of Financial Aid processing calendar
- Participate in various financial aid functions (i.e. – new student orientation, Campus Visit Days, Admitted Student Days, registration nights)
- Review and update of the office webpage
- Communicate with parents and students to resolve financial aid and/or billing-related matters
- Review and creation of documents, forms, publications
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid
- Assist with the maintenance of the CX database tables including the creation of new aid codes, contact codes
- Assist in the creation of financial aid packages for graduate students
- Assist in the processing of summer financial aid packages
- Review student refund requests for accuracy and approval
- Answer phone calls which involves handling of detailed financial aid and billing-related questions
- Participation in cross-training with the Admissions staff
- Assist with training of Office of Financial Aid Staff
- Participation in professional development activities
- Reception duties
- Limited supervision of the Student Assistants
Work Experience: Two years minimum experience preferred
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s preferred
Desired Work Traits: Working knowledge of the financial aid process and federal regulations; experience with financial aid packaging; ability to work independently and as part of a team; attention to detail required; ability to effectively solve problems and multi-task in a fast-paced environment; demonstrated competency in mathematics
Computer Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, internet and email in a network environment. Working knowledge of NSLDS, ELM, COD, Clearinghouse, EDExpress preferred; knowledge of Jenzabar CX, JICS and file transfer protocol and html/website maintenance helpful.
Ability to communicate effectively via verbal and written communication; ability to actively listen, manage sensitive and/or difficult situations
- First floor in a building without an elevator or handicap access
- Travel may be required
- Evening and weekend hours required for special events. May be required to accommodate student/family schedules.
Nothing in this job description restricts Management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Application review will begin immediately.
Interested parties should email their resume to email@example.com with the subject line "Resume". Applications will also be accepted via mail to:
Theresa M. Weimer
Director of Financial Aid
One Campus Road
Staten Island, NY 10301