- To provide direct supervision to their assigned residence halls and residence hall staffs.
- Work with the Dean of Campus Life Office and Director of Residential Education to implement the overall housing and residence life program through individual attention to residents, crisis response, educational outreach, and programming within the campus life division of Wagner College.
- Provide leadership to student Resident Assistant (RA) and Assistant Resident Director (ARD) in the assigned building; perform all traditional RD responsibilities.
- Recruit, select, train, and evaluate the student RA and ARD staff.
- Coordinate staff functions, including routine individual and group meetings, referrals in conjunction with counseling personnel, liaison with campus operations and public safety personnel, damage billing assessment, routine building and health and safety inspections.
- Design, develop and implement in-service training programs in conjunction with the ARDs.
- Student Development
- Provide personal, social and academic counseling to students when appropriate; make referrals when necessary.
- Assist in the facilitation of themed communities in the residence halls; increase interaction between students and the faculty though residence hall activities.
- Serve as role model to student staff and students; be seen as an available resource to virtually all residents.
- Coordinate programming efforts for the hall community. Create and implement programmatic initiatives that address integral components of the residential experience including programming on conflict mediation, leadership development, alcohol, and multicultural education. Support the planning and implementation of academic and personal growth opportunities for resident students.
- Provide support to campus-wide activities and events through active involvement with campus life programs.
- Encourage student and staff to participate in college programs and student activities; be visible at campus functions whenever possible. Actively support and participate in college-wide programs (Homecoming, Parents Weekend and other college-wide events).
- Coordinate, implement and evaluate campus-wide residence hall programs involving faculty and other student affairs staff.
- Hall Operations
- Manage all operational responsibilities within building, including: supervision of room changes and resolution of roommate conflicts; coordination of student damage and vandalism assessment; conduct routine inspections of residence hall facilities in conjunction with maintenance public safety; and implement any corrective action that may be necessary.
- Assist in the administration of residence hall security, evacuations and fire alarms, summer conference operations, daily maintenance, recycling operations, housing assignments and residence hall technology as directed.
- Critical Incident Response
- Oversee duty schedules, rosters, and openings and closing of building; work with staff to ensure adequate coverage and staff availability.
- Participate in professional staff evening and weekend duty coverage rotation as assigned.
- Assist in coordination of the residence hall disciplinary system, which is consistent throughout campus; review and discuss cases with individual residence hall staff on a routine basis.
- Respond to emergency situations as appropriate and in accordance with Wagner College procedures.
- Departmental Responsibilities
- Participate in Residential Education decision-making and management; assume responsibility for learning about and creating new ideas in residence halls and work to implement those ideas as appropriate.
- Chair or co-chair a committee for the Department of Residential Education.
- Maintain the posted daily office hours in assigned building.
- Two years of experience in residence hall administration.
- A bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
Desired Work Traits:
- Experience working with diverse constituents and the ability to balance students’ needs with institutional goals.
- Excellent computing skills: Microsoft Office, e-mail and Internet.
- Must possess outstanding organizational, planning, communication, training, and interpersonal skills.
- Position requires that Resident Director live on campus.
- Outside employment is not permitted as a condition of employment without written approval from the Dean of Campus Life.
- Base salary, plus comprehensive College benefits (visit our Human Resources website for more information)
- Unfurnished apartment, including utilities, local phone, basic cable, and internet
- Funding for apartment furniture that is owned by the RD after two years of full-time employment
- Funding for professional development opportunities and conferences
- Tuition remission at Wagner college (visit our Human Resources website for more information)
Nothing in this job description restricts College’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Genevieve Hein, Director of Residential Education
One Campus Road
Staten Island, NY 10301