Title: Grounds keeper - Temporary
Department: Campus Operations - Grounds
Employment Status: Full time - Temporary
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Organizational Relationship: Reports to working Grounds Foreman
Job Purpose: To enhance and maintain the College’s grounds so that these provide a positive impression to existing and prospective students, employees and visitors.
- Daily maintenance of landscape areas throughout the college campus and related locations.
- Must be able to operate tractors, lawn mowers and drive trucks with standard shift.
- Mow, line trim, and police around all Wagner properties and athletic fields.
- Trim all scrubs, bushes and trees on Wagner properties and athletic fields.
- Collect garbage on all Wagner properties on Wagner properties and athletic fields.
- Paint the required lines, letters and numbers needed on athletic fields.
- Apply fertilizer and chemicals to all Wagner properties and athletic fields.
- Field man schedule is to be rotating as per games.
- On snow days all workers that are on-call have to come into work as required.
- When there is snow, shovel snow or plow snow on all Wagner properties.
- When there is snow, apply ice melting chemicals on all streets, paths, and staircases on all Wagner properties.
- Work on installation and repair of turf irrigation on all Wagner properties and all athletic fields.
- Dig trenches, plant, grade and landscape all Wagner properties and athletic fields as required.
Nothing in this job description restricts Management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- 5-7 years experience doing landscaping and landscape maintenance.
- Ability to drive standard shift including the ability to drive tractors and trucks.
- Mechanical skills working with lawn mowers, lime trimmers, chain saws and gas trimmers.
- Experience in gardening is required.
- High school diploma, GED or comparable education.
- Valid driver’s license.
Desired Work Traits:
- The successful candidate will be available to be called in to work at any time to remove a hazardous condition made by snow, ice, freezing rain or falling trees.
- The successful candidate will be expected to be available to work overtime the day proceeding and on any important dates. (Such as: an Open House, Homecoming, Commencement, and Athletic events important to the Wagner community). These dates are almost always posted on a calendar of events in advance.
- Ability to communicate effectively with various campus constituencies.
- Please note this position is temporary as it is providing coverage for a permanent employee on a leave of absence for an unknown period of time.
- The incumbent employee shall be included in the Local 30, I.U.O.E AFL-CIO bargaining unit and shall be employee subject to the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Local 30 and Wagner College.
- Ability to work overtime when necessary.
- Working in an outdoors environment.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
To apply, please direct letters of interest and resumes to:
One Campus Road
Staten Island, NY 10301
email@example.com with the subject line "Temporary Grounds Keeper"
No phone calls please. The review of applications will begin immediately.