TITLE: Public Safety Officer
DEPARTMENT: Public Safety
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full time
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIP: Director of Public Safety
JOB PURPOSE: Public Safety Officers are responsible for enforcing Wagner College rules and regulations, investigating, complaints, parking enforcement, traffic control, student/faculty escorts, premises security, fire alarms, and the general safety and security of students, faculty, staff, visitors and property.
- Know and understand the policies and procedures for the security function as well at the College.
- Observe report and correct irregular or unusual conditions or disturbances.
- Investigate and maintain information on all incidents that occur on campus. Respond to requests for assistance regarding lost or stolen property, break-ins, or vandalism. Complete the daily activities report providing detailed information on all incidents of a criminal or any other nature.
- Investigate and report incidents of a criminal nature to the Security Supervisor or, if the situation warrants, to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- Maintain vigilant and continuing surveillance of area(s) to which assigned, including buildings, grounds, and parking lots, particularly during the hours of occupancy. Maintain routine and scheduled foot patrols of campus buildings, grounds, and parking lots, maintaining a high degree of visibility at all times.
- Be responsible for security and other operational concerns for campus parking areas. Patrol all campus parking areas on a regular schedule and ensure compliance with handicapped parking plan. Enforce campus parking regulations via tickets or removing students from class to move cars parked illegally. Ticket cars in parking areas that are blocking thoroughfares or fire zones. Provide emergency assistance to individuals in the parking areas and facilitate access to mechanical or towing services as needed.
- Provide evening escort service from Main Campus to off-site parking lot.
- Responsible for carrying out the established procedure for opening and lock down. Schedule will include information regarding procedure and timeline for locking ad unlocking all campus facilities and locations to limit the possibility of theft or vandalism.
- Maintain first aid proficiency requirements, as directed and emergency medical protocol as set forth by security administration. Assist faculty, staff, students, and guests in basic first aid as needed. Contact emergency medical personnel when necessary.
- Provide courteous assistance for faculty, staff, students, and visitors where necessary. Direct individuals to various locations on campus. Maintain access to information on campus functions or activities.
- Provide crowd control as required.
- Responsible for compliance with emergency notification procedure.
- Provide assistance to motor vehicle operators.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
Nothing in this job description restricts Management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Knowledge of security and law enforcement procedures and functions
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Satisfactory completion of an approved security training course
- Must be a certified security officer
- Must possess a valid New York driver's license.
Desired Work Traits:
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to prepare legible and accurate security reports.
- Proficiency and compliance with radio communication procedure.
- Ability to communicate politely and effectively with the general public.
- Employee must be a member of the Security Officers Union, Local One, and will be subject to the terms of the collective bargaining agreement between the union and Wagner College.
- Overtime for special College events such as Commencement, Open House, Homecoming, etc. is mandatory.
To apply, please direct letters of interest and resumes to:
Monica Wohltjen, Assistant Director of Public Safety
One Campus Road
Staten Island, NY 10301
email@example.com with the subject line "Public Safety Officer"
No phone calls please. The review of applications will begin immediately.