Learn about the research process and library resources, and develop advanced search skills.
Research tools: How-to videos created by our librarians
- How to Search OneSearch (12:00) - everything you've ever wanted to know about searching OneSearch, the library's comprehensive search tool.
- How to Search the Horrmann Library Catalog (7:49) - search the catalog to find books, media, and textbooks located within the library.
- Interlibrary Loan (5:52) - borrow books and articles from other libraries for free
- Zotero (5:32) - cite, save, and manage your sources using Zotero
The Research Process: Recommended videos
- The Information Cycle (1:38) - learn how and when different types of information are published and how to choose the best source
- Research is like Cooking (3:45) - a great analogy for understanding the research process
- Choosing Search Terms (3:43) - save time and make sure you are using the best terms before you begin your search
- Scholarly v. Popular Periodicals (3:10) - learn to differentiate between popular and scholarly articles
- Why Can't I Just Google? (3:13) - need we say more?
- Credible Websites (3:54) - how to evaluate websites
- Primary Sources - History (3:02) - learn about primary source materials for history
- Primary Sources - Sciences (4:40) - learn about primary source materials for the sciences
- You Quote It, You Note It! - our interactive plagiarism prevention tutorial
Database-specific How-to Videos
- JSTOR (5:43) - All subjects
- SAGE Journals (6:55) - Social and Natural Sciences
- CINAHL with Full Text (4:39)- Nursing & Allied Health
- MEDLINE with Full Text (3:36) - Medical Sciences
- Using CINAHL/MeSH Headings (5:27)- how to use the customized thesaurus to use the recommended search terms in CINAHL and MEDLINE