On Thursday, April 4, 2013, Wagner College held its annual Civic Engagement Recognition Awards program to encourage those members of the college community and its community partners who have gone the extra mile in furthering Wagner’s goal of changing the world, one neighborhood at a time, through partnerships between higher education and community organizations.
Wagner College President Richard Guarasci and Provost Lily McNair introduced the staff of Wagner’s Center for Leadership and Engagement, who presented the awards: Dean Pat Tooker, Professor Stephen Preskill, and Assistant Director Samantha Siegel.
The inspiring keynote address was delivered by Ira Harkavy, associate vice president and founding director of the Barbara and Edward Netter Center for Community Partnerships at the University of Pennsylvania.
The following awards were presented:
- Periclean Award: Kevin Ferreira
- Impact Scholars Award: Julia Zenker
- Staff Civic Engagement Recognition Award: Michael Miller, Assistant Athletic Director for Marketing
- Faculty Civic Engagement Recognition Award: Sociology professor John Esser and government professor Abraham Unger
- Departmental Civic Engagement Recognition Award: Department of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures, represented by professors Marilyn Kiss and Margarita Sanchez
- Community Partner Civic Engagement Recognition Award: Project Hospitality, represented by Executive Director Terry Troia
- Special Civic Engagement Recognition Award: Lee Manchester, Wagner’s director for media relations and campus communications and college historian