New York Needs You is a career, leadership development, and scholarship opportunity designed to help ambitious, first-generation college students realize their full potential. Through the program, students have the opportunity to:
- Earn a $2,500 professional development grant
- Access to summer internships at prestigious companies and organizations
- Receive individualized support from a Mentor Coach
- Obtain in-kind services and products — free business attire, free writing and ESL support, and subsidized test preparation, for example
- Opportunities to network with leading industry professionals
In order to apply, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current freshman or sophomore
- Be a first-generation college student (neither of your parents has completed a bachelor’s degree, though they may have attended some college or completed an associate’s degree)
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be willing and able to commit to an intensive 2-year program that includes bi-weekly 5-hour Saturday workshops and meetings with mentor-coaches
The program is open to a variety of majors, including students who have not yet determined their career goals. Preferred consideration will go to low-income students and freshmen.
The application deadline is February 15, 2013. For more information or to apply for the program, visit the website at http://www.newyorkneedsyou.org.
Students interested in applying may contact Dr. Geoff Hempill at firstname.lastname@example.org or (718) 420-4269 for assistance with their applications. Further information can also be found in the Center for Academic and Career Engagement, located in the Union right next to the Hawk’s Nest.