Registered Nurse Students
- Courses from other colleges will be accepted for transfer credit to units if the grade is “C” or higher upon approval by the Wagner College Registrar. Units are used in place of credits with no loss to student’s transfer credits; 1 unit is equal to 3.33 credits. The last 9 units of any degree must be earned at Wagner College. Credits earned through proficiency examinations, life experience, etc. cannot be counted as part of the required units.
- To be admitted, RN students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher. RN students, who do not have a 3.0 GPA or higher, will be evaluated by the School of Nursing (SON) Admission Committee. International students will be evaluated by School of Nursing (SON) Admission Committee.
- The Bachelor of Science degree is awarded at the completion of the Nursing and General Education requirements. Registered Nurse students must complete a total of 36 units to earn a Bachelor of Science degree.
The required nursing courses that need to be taken at The Evelyn L. Spiro School of Nursing at Wagner College are the following seven units:
|Course||Course Name||Unit||Semester Offered|
|NR353||Dimensions of Health Assessment||1||Summer|
|NR375||Challenges of Professionalism in Nursing (RN’s only)||1||Fall|
|NR472||Community Health Nursing||1.5||Spring/Fall|
|NR476||Dimensions of Mental Health Nursing||0.5||Spring/Fall|
|NR474||Nursing Leadership and Management||1||Spring/Fall|
|NR490 SLC||Reflective Tutorial — Senior Practicum||1||Spring/Fall|
Note: NR353 – Waiver of NR353 is available by passing both:
- the performance based competency testing; and
- the final for the course with a 77% (C+).
This may be discussed with the RN-BS Advisor at time of admission. An elective nursing course will then be required.
4. Credit for previous nursing experience:
In order to receive a total of 18 units: 10 units from Wagner College for previous Nursing knowledge and competencies and 8 units for General Education knowledge, the RN student will need to provide proof (submit original documents for verification to Admissions or the SON) of:
- Successful completion of education requirements for entry into professional nurse practice, which include official transcripts. The following Nursing courses ill be awarded transfer credit equal to 10 units: NR 351, 355, 356, 364, 366, 368, 465, 469;
- New York State RN license and current New York State registration;
- Current employment as a Registered Nurse. If an RN has not been actively involved in clinical practice two or more years, they will be required to demonstrate clinical competency in either a clinical agency, Nursing Resource Center, or by taking a clinical competency exam, at the discretion of the faculty;
- Proof of identity (driver’s license or passport); and, if applicable, documents proving name changes (e.g., mariage license or divorce paperwork). The above admission paperwork will be evaluated by both the School of Nursing and Registrar prior to the awarding of transfer credit.
RN’s are able to receive transfer credit for previous nursing knowledge: 10 units
Required courses in Nursing you need to take: 7 units
General Education and Sciences: 8 units transfer and 11 units at Wagner College = 19 units
To complete the Registered Nurse Baccalaureate Degree you need 36 units
(Last 9 units must be taken at Wagner College)
Progression Policy for RN Students:
NR375 and NR400 are pre-requisites for NR472, NR474, NR476 and NR490.
NR474 and NR490 are co-requisites.
Suggested Nursing Electives:
Students entering Fall must take two (2) intercultural courses in the core curriculum. One course in International (I) and one course in American Diversity (D).
NR212-D Human Sexuality (1 Unit)
SP/NR 511-I Spanish for Healthcare Professionals (1 Unit)
NR591 Special Topics (1 Unit)
NR593 Independent Study ( .5 to 1 Unit)
Arranged with Faculty Advisor
**RN students are not required to take ATI exams. An alternative assignment or exam will be substituted in place of an ATI exam equal to the percentage breakdown on the individual course syllabus.