The Public Safety Department is asking you to become involved in the fight against crime by joining the Campus Watch Program.
WHAT IS CAMPUS WATCH?
Campus watch is a crime prevention program aimed at reducing the number of burglaries and larcenies on the campus. It is a self-help program in which concerned students help protect themselves and each other by watching and calling Public Safety when a crime or suspicious activity is observed.
WHY DO WE NEED A CAMPUS WATCH PROGRAM?
The security of the campus and its residents depends upon the people. No police department can function effectively without the support and cooperation of the citizens it serves.
Security can’t be everywhere at once. Your help, your eyes and your ears are needed in the fight against crime. Criminals will not operate in areas where citizens are alert.
WHAT TYPES OF THINGS SHOULD YOU REPORT?
Anything that seems slightly “ out of the ordinary” for your area or during the time in which it occurs should be reported immediately. Some of the most obvious things to watch for and report include:
• A stranger loitering in or around your residence hall
• Someone “testing” doorknobs while walking down a hallway
• A person carrying property out of a dormitory or academic building, especially at an unusual hour
• A person screaming or calling for help
• The sound of glass breaking
• Anyone suspiciously tampering with an automobile or peering into cars in a parking lot
• A loud explosion
The Public Safety Department would also appreciate your calls for any of the following:
• Burned out or inoperative street lights
• Broken or ineffective locks and security devices
• Parking problems
TIPS ON CALLING THE PUBLIC SAFETY DEPARTMENT
Call Security immediately about all suspicious persons or activities – and do it yourself. Don’t take it for granted that someone has already called. Please include the following information when you call:
• What happened
• Any injuries
• Description of suspects
• Vehicle license number
• Direction of escape
When reporting “crimes in progress” stay on the phone until the police arrive.
WHOM DO YOU CALL?
The Public Safety Department has three phone numbers you can call. Dial 390-9111 for emergencies, i.e., crimes in progress, fires, medical emergencies, etc. For all other calls, dial 390-3165 during office hours (Monday – Friday 8:30am-4:30pm). The Main Gate on Howard Avenue is staffed 24 hours a day and can be reached at 390-3148.
• Close and lock your door every time you’re away from your room, even if just for a few minutes.
• Be alert to strangers on your floor. Call Public Safety if you suspect anything.
• Let a neighbor know if you leave the campus for a few days. Have this person watch your room while you are gone and offer to do the same in return.
• Try to park your car in authorized areas that have a constant flow of pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
• Watch for suspicious looking persons loitering near a particular car or several cars in a parking lot. Call Public Safety if you suspect anything.