Student Staff Selection 2016-2017
We think being part of Res Ed is ALL THAT!
Resident Assistants and Residential Peer Educators are both students that contribute to the success and well-being of students living on campus at Wagner. Student staff facilitates the development of an inclusive community on the floor and within the building they live through planning and implementing programs that uphold the Department’s mission and goals. Student Staff establishes relationships with all the residents of the floor and demonstrates availability and approachability to residents. Resident Assistants and Peer Educators serve as role models and representatives of Wagner College both on and off campus.
In addition to the specific job responsibilities listed below, both PEs and RAs are expected to possess a positive attitude which embraces the mission, policies, and procedures of Residential Education. Staff members are also expected to exercise good use of personal judgment to protect their credibility which is critical to their ability to perform this job.
- Facilitate the development of an inclusive community on floor assigned.
- Plan and implement programs that uphold the Department’s mission and goals.
- Establishes relationships with all residents of the floor and demonstrates availability and approachability to residents.
- Respond to emergency and crisis situations.
- Serve on an on-call duty rotation.
- Participates in weekly staff meetings (Mondays at 9pm), Summer Training (typically 2 weeks prior to start of Fall Semester), Winter Training (typically half week prior to the start of Spring Semester), and other departmental functions.
- Serve as a role model and representative of Wagner College both on and off campus.
- RA Job Description 2015-2016
- Participate in Residential Education Fall Training in August and Winter Training in January
- Serve as the Chair of one of the four Peer Educator focus areas: Alcohol and Other Drugs, General Health and Wellness, Healthy Relationships, or Diversity
- Assist in the planning and facilitation of building-wide programs
- Assist Resident Assistants plan and facilitate programs in their paired floor communities
- Assist with basic mediation situations as necessary
- Attend scheduled supervisory meetings with a member of Senior Staff
- Attend weekly Res Ed staff meetings
- Assist with coverage of both Homecoming and Songfest weekends
- Be available to support student successes and navigate student challenges
- Understand and follow the Campus Life Crisis Protocols
- Attend bi-weekly Peer Educator Team meetings
- Full-time student status
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5
- Good judicial standing with the College
- Appreciation of the mission of the department
- All rising Sophomore, Junior and Senior undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.
- An RA room
- A basic meal plan
- The compensation for the position equates to approximately $12,000. Thus, this benefit may impact financial aid packages. Academic scholarships or grants are reduced by $2,000 for all RAs receiving this type of financial aid because room and board are no longer billed to their account.
- If you have any concerns about changes in your financial aid package due to the RA position, please see a counselor in the Office of Financial Aid.
- A single room at a discounted rate
- Applications will be available here on December 1st
- Each applicant must complete the application and submit it by Saturday, January 23rd
- Each applicant must ask a Wagner community member (faculty, staff, admin) AND a current Resident Assistant or Residential Peer Educator to submit a recommendation by Wednesday, January 27th at 5 pm
- Candidates will be invited to the next round which consists of an interview process to be held Saturday, February 20, 2016 called Group Process Day. You must be available between 8am – 5pm that day. This will include group activities, a time for you to ask questions about the position, and an individual interview
- Candidates will be expected to attend ONE of three Group Process Day Orientations. Candidates may choose to attend one of the following dates: February 3rd at 9 pm, February 8th at 8 pm, OR February 16th at 8 pm
Some tips if you are thinking about applying
- Ask an RA.
- Visit the Center for Academic and Career Engagement for interview practice and tips.
- Visit the Writing Center for help with your application.
- Make an appointment to speak with a member of the selection committee by contacting email@example.com
- Visit our Central Office in Towers Hall, Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm.
APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED
If you applied, please check “The Application Process” drop down for more information about what to expect next.