Residency Requirement

Wagner College is committed to the development of the whole student, both in and out of the classroom environment.  Living in residence offers unmatched opportunities for growth and development as students learn to live in a community of their peers, interact with students from different backgrounds, and navigate personal and academic challenges.   

As of the 2016-2017 academic year, Wagner College has implemented a three year Residency Requirement furthers the College’s interest in providing a traditional residential college experience for students, positively impacts the feeling of community on campus, and connects students with their peers and with co-curricular involvement opportunities. This Residency Requirement only applies to students who enter the college as residential students.  Students who enter the college as commuters may become residents at any point during their college career, but are not bound by the three-year requirement.

Information for Rising Seniors or Students that Meet Three Year Residency Requirement

Rising seniors, or those that have met the three year residency requirement, must register to move off campus by March 1, 2017. You will receive confirmation of your request by Friday, March 24th, 2017. Rising seniors must meet the following requirements:

  • Satisfactory GPA and disciplinary record
  • Appropriate unit attainment to be considered a rising Senior

Information for Students that Do Not Meet Three Year Residency Requirement

For non-rising seniors, students can submit an application to be released from the residency requirement if they meet one of the following parameters:

  • A student has a medical need that cannot be accommodated in a Wagner College residential facility
  • A student is a lifelong learner or non-traditional student
  • A student is married, in a civil union, or in a domestic partnership
  • A student has a permanent residence within 25 miles of Wagner College
  • A student is financially unable to afford campus housing
  • Additional exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Office of Residential Education based on extenuating circumstances

Students wishing to be considered for release from the Residency Requirement must complete a short Resident to Non-Resident application (below), provide formal documentation as proof of their situation, and include a letter that demonstrates how and why they meet one of the aforementioned qualifications for release.  Please note that a release from this agreement is not guaranteed.

Students who apply for a release from the 3 year residence requirement may be subject to a $400.00 breakage fee (e.g. the equivalent of the housing deposit).

If you have any questions, please e-mail or call our office at 718-390-3420.

Resident to Non-Resident Form