Res. Ed. staff will be conducting Health and Safety Inspections Monday, February 23rd - Friday, March 6th.
Health and Safety Inspections serve many purposes:
- to make sure safety equipment is installed and working properly
- to report any damage or change in the condition of the room
- to ensure that students are not in possession of prohibited item. Prohibited items are confiscated immediately.
- Any policy violation found in your room may result in further judicial action.
NOTE: You do not need to be present for a health and safety inspection of your room to occur.
In order to ensure the safety of all individuals in the Wagner College community, the following are prohibited:
- Any candle, incense, or appliance with open face heating coils or elements such as hotpots, coffee pots, electric grills, toasters and hot plates. Coffee makers that use pods to make individual servings are permitted.
- Fireworks, firecrackers or any other chemicals, which are of an explosive or corrosive nature are prohibited on College property or at any College function.
- Firearms, ammunition, offensive or defensive weapons, paintball guns, BB guns, sling shots, water guns, swords, stun guns, knives, and any other item that may be determined a weapon by the College.
- Halogen and lava lamps.
- Gasoline and any other flammable liquids.
- Kerosene heaters, oil lamps, immersion coils and space heaters not provided by the College.
- Non-UL approved power cord or extension cords.
- Over-utilized electrical sockets.
- Oversized refrigerators taller than 4 feet high (in residence halls).
- Live cut Christmas trees.
- Air conditioners.
- Microwave ovens over 700 watts.
- 50% of the space on each wall in the room must be left uncovered.
- Shelves and other structures may not be attached to room furnishings, walls, ceilings, or floors.
- Any item hanging from or attached to the fire sprinkler pipes or sprinkler heads.
- Privately purchased loft beds, building lofts or any wooden structure not approved by the College.
- Charcoal or gas grills (prohibited both in campus facilities and on the grounds.)
- Furniture that does not comply with the Fire Retardant Furniture Policy.
- Any pet or laboratory animal except fish (no dogs are permitted on the campus grounds)
- Fish tanks larger than 2 gallons.
- Pet equipment, food, supplies or paraphernalia.
Furnishings that are permitted in the residence halls:
- Upholstered furniture that complies with California Technical Bulletin117 fire code (furniture must have an attached tag with the fire code listed)
- Futons that comply with California Technical Bulletin 129 or BFD1x-11, as evidenced by a tag attached to the futon mattress and indicatingthe fire code
- Small organizational systems
- Metal shelving units