The Resident Assistant (RA) is a staff member of the Office of Residential Education and the College. He/she reports to the staff supervisor in his/her hall. In addition to the specific job responsibilities listed below, the RA is expected to possess a positive attitude which embraces the mission, policies and procedures of Residential Education. In addition, staff members are expected to exercise good use of personal judgment to protect his/her credibility which is critical to his/her ability to perform this job.
Resident Assistant Job Description:
- Facilitate the development of an inclusive community on floor assigned.
- Plan and implement programs that uphold the Department’s mission and goals.
- Establishes relationships with all residents of the floor and demonstrates availability and approachability to residents.
- Respond to emergency and crisis situations.
- Serve on an on-call duty rotation.
- Participates in weekly staff meetings (Mondays at 9pm), Summer Training (August 10, 2014-August 25, 2014), Winter Training (January 14, 2015- January 19, 2015), and other departmental functions.
- Serve as a role model and representative of Wagner College both on and off campus.
• Full-time student status
• Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5
• Good judicial standing with the College
• Appreciation of the mission of the department
• All rising Sophomore, Junior and Senior undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.
• All applicants must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and also be in good disciplinary standing with the College.
• A single room
• A basic meal plan
All candidates are encouraged to complete the process for Housing Selection for the 2014-2015 academic year via application and deposit. Candidates who are offered the RA position and accept will receive a refund of their housing deposit.
• The compensation for the position equates to approximately $12,000. Thus, this benefit may impact financial aid packages. Academic scholarships or grants are reduced by $2,000 for all RAs receiving this type of financial aid because room and board are no longer billed to their account.
• If you have any concerns about changes in your financial aid package due to the RA position, please see a counselor in the Office of Financial Aid.
• Applications will be available on December 1st
• Each applicant must complete the application and submit it by Friday, February 7th at 5pm
• Each applicant must ask a Wagner community member (faculty, staff, admin) AND a current Resident Assistant to submit a recommendation by Friday, February 7th at 5pm.
• A group of candidates will be invited to the next round which consists of an interview process to be held Saturday, February 22, 2014. You must be available between 8am - 5pm that day. This will include group activities, a time for you to ask questions about the position, and an individual interview.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are unable to make it to group process due to study-abroad, an athletic trip, or some other extenuating circumstance, let us know and alternate accommodates will be arranged.
• You will be notified of your final status via e-mail on March 7, 2013.
- Ask an RA
- Information Sessions : January 21st @ 9pm & January 29th @ 8:30pm
- Contact: email@example.com
- Visit our Central Office in Towers Hall, Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm
- Visit the Writing Center for help with your application.
- Visit the Center for Academic and Career Engagement for interview practice and tips.