Wagner College recognizes that residence hall living is integral to a college experience. Accordingly, we recognize that students with disabilities may require a specific type of housing to fully participate in the residential component of the college experience. For students with documented disabilities, Wagner College will make every effort to provide reasonable disability housing accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended (ADAAA). A disability is defined under the ADAAA as any mental or physical impairment that substantially limits the individual in a major life activity compared to the average person. Wagner College has established the following procedures to ensure that students with disabilities have equal access to residential housing.
Housing Accommodation Policy
- Process for Requesting
- Documentation Guidelines
- Factors Considered
Part 1: Medical Housing Accommodation Request FormStudents should complete a Medical Housing Accommodation Request Form. This form can be found on a student’s housing portal (housing.wagner.edu) under ‘Forms’ – ‘Medical Housing Accommodation Request Form’. Requests for the Fall semester are due by March 15 for returning students and July 1 for new students. Requests for the Spring semester are due October 1 for returning students and January 1 for new students.
Part 2: Medical Housing Accommodation Documentation FormThis documentation form should be completed by a licensed medical professional who is not (a) a relative of the student and/or (b) an employee of the Wagner College Center for Health & Wellness, Nursing Program, or any other affiliated office. Requests should be submitted before the published deadlines so that accommodations can be taken into account during the fall and spring room assignment processes. The Medical Housing Committee, composed of representatives from the Center for Health and Wellness, Accessibility Services, and Residential Education, will meet to review requests. Students will be notified via campus email of the committee’s recommendation. Should medical concerns arise during the course of the semester, the committee will convene to review these requests as necessary.
Please note that incomplete requests cannot be considered. Only applications that represent a qualifying disability will be considered for medical accommodation.
- Recent (within a year of the request); and
- Sufficient to establish a direct link between the documented disability and the requested housing accommodation.
- Letter from a health care provider that does not include Medical Housing Accommodation Documentation Form
- Handwritten patient records or notes from patient charts
- Diagnoses on prescription pads
- Self-evaluation found on the internet or any print publication
- Research articles
- Incomplete documentation form
- Any other documentation that the committee deems insufficient to substantiate the request
- Severity of the Condition
- Is impact of the condition life threatening if the request is not met?
- Is there a negative health impact that may be permanent if the request is not met?
Is the request an integral component of a treatment plan for the condition in question?
What is the likely impact on academic performance if the request is not met?
- What is the likely impact on social development if the request is not met?
- Flexibility and Availability
- Is space available that meets the student’s needs?
- Is the student in Greek or themed community housing? If so, can the requested configuration be met within that area?
- Can space be adapted to provide the requested configuration without creating a safety hazard (electrical load, emergency egress, etc.)?
- Are there other effective methods or housing configurations that would achieve similar benefits as the requested configuration?
The Housing Accommodation Request Form can be found on a student’s housing portal. Please visit housing.wagner.edu and complete the Housing Accommodation Request Form.
Please have your documentation submitted by a licensed medical professional.