Acquire the industry skills and management expertise you need to get ahead in this competitive and global industry that includes film, television, music, video games, publishing, web, mobile, and more.
By integrating theory and practice, our program will provide graduates with a keen understanding of the dynamic linkage between the creative arts and the business of financing, producing, and distributing creative work. The MBA in Media Management will prepare students to manage media enterprises driven by ever-evolving technological developments and rapid globalization.
Our program promotes students’ success by offering classes that integrate theory and practical experience. Class sizes are limited to 12–16 bright and highly motivated students, ensuring tailored attention to each student’s interests and needs.
In the program, students will:
- Apply principles of entrepreneurship, venture creation, and development.
- Learn directly from practitioners in the field of media ventures.
- Plan, produce, and market their own new business venture in the media sector in the two-semester Media Venture course series.
The program also includes an elective opportunity allowing students to learn first-hand how the media industry operates internationally, through trips abroad to participate in seminars and workshops with media professionals from those countries.
All prospective students must demonstrate prior exposure to media disciplines, such as through work, performances, proven avocation, or prior coursework. Criteria for admission include undergraduate GPA, work experience, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. A personal interview is also required. To apply, visit our Admissions site.
TIER I: Initial Tier Core Curriculum (15 credits)
- BU 613 Statistics for Managers* Pre-requisite for BU 660
- BU 617 Economics for Managers
- BU 619 Financial and Managerial Accounting * Pre-requisite for BU 620
- BU 629 Excel for the Competitive Business Environment
- BU 660 Business and Economics Forecasting for Managers
The following 2 courses are not part of any Tier; they may be taken at any time within the matriculation period and they do not have pre-requisites and are not pre-requisites for any other course.
- BU 625 Communicating Leadership—offered only in the Fall and requires a 2 day workshop as part of the course curriculum. ($100 lab fee)
- MG 619 Law and the Manager OR MM 633 Media Law, Ethics & Contract Negotiation and Drafting
Media Management Concentration Courses consists of 6 courses.*
- MM 647 Video Game Industry
- MM 650 Planning, Producing and Marketing a Media Venture-I
- MM 651 Planning, Producing and Marketing a Media Venture-II PRE-REQUISITE MM 650
- MM 642 The Film and Television Industry
- MM 643 The Publishing Industry
- MM 644 The Music Industry
* BU 668 Business Internship—ELECTIVE—With Director approval, this course can be used to supplant one of the other Tier II classes (specifically: MM 647, MM 642, MM 643 and MM 644) except MM 650 and MM 651
Final Tier III courses may only be taken after completion of all (Tier I) core curriculum courses and two (Tier II) major courses. Final Tier III courses are as follows:
- BU 652 Strategic Management
- BU 662 Managing Organizational Change
- BU 669 Strategic Leadership