What is the Leadership Academy?
The Port Richmond Partnership Leadership Academy (PRPLA) is a two year commitment with a four-week summer intensive program, aimed to enhance and enrich the achievement of Port Richmond High School rising juniors and seniors. The Academy was established by Wagner College and the New World Foundation COIN Program in the fall of 2013, and is continually supported by a generous donation made by the Dugan family. It is truly unique program designed to deepen participants academic abilities as well as develop community capacity building skills to affect positive, local change. Academy participants are immersed in two innovative, high school and college courses during the summer, complete a focused community advocacy project or internship, and engage in civic learning field trips throughout the summer and academic year. This opportunity is in alignment with the vision and goals of the 30,000 Degrees initiative.
Who is a Port Richmond Leader?
A Port Richmond Leader is a rising junior who is passionate about earning a college degree, a lifelong learner, and seeking a rewarding summer experience on Wagner College’s beautiful campus! We are looking for students who are committed to strengthening their academic performance, attending college, and most importantly, demonstrate an interest in affecting local change through community-based work. There is no GPA requirement for applicants.
Why should you choose the Port Richmond Partnership Leadership Academy for your summer experience?
The Port Richmond Leadership Academy has been especially designed to reflect the energy, passion, and potential of Port Richmond youth as well as the vibrant community rich with history and culture connection.
- A four week summer program at Wagner College during the summers before the junior year and senior year, with the opportunity to live on campus for two of those four weeks
- Academic year seminars, college visits, and trips for you to engage with your peers and prepare for your future
- Individualized college readiness assistance and college application guidance
- Access to 1:1 college student mentoring opportunity
- Civic-based internship experience that will set you apart in the college admissions process
- There is no GPA requirement to participate
- Zero cost to you and your family