Hiring Process

Hiring Cycle Flowchart

This flowchart will demonstrate the steps you need to follow in order to be hired.  The steps are listed with additional detail below.

If you have never worked on campus previously:

  • At the start of the fall semester, students who are CWS-eligible will be able to complete the necessary paperwork for student employment. After the first two weeks of classes, the employment process will be open to all students. To determine if you are CWS-eligible, please refer to your Financial Aid Offer Letter.
  • Next, come to the Office of Financial Aid to complete the W-4 and I-9 forms. Be sure to have original forms of ID with you. Photocopies or facsimiles will not be accepted.
  • After completing the I-9 and W-4, you may be given a Job Referral Form for a position that you have chosen from the Student Employment Program (SEP) postings. If you are interested in a community service position, you will be required to complete an application. This does not indicate that you have been hired.
  • You will meet with the supervisor listed on the Referral Form. If the supervisor hires you, the Referral must be signed by both the supervisor and yourself.
  • After both the student and supervisor have signed the Referral, the student must return the Referral to the Office of Financial Aid. At this time, the student is considered as a hired employee of Wagner College.
  • You may begin working only after all paperwork is completed and returned to the Office of Financial Aid.
  • You should meet with your supervisor to plan a work schedule. You may work no more than 20 hours per week and may not work during class times.

If you have worked on campus previously:

  • You must come to the Office of Financial Aid to obtain a Job Referral Form prior to starting work. CWS students may obtain a Referral beginning the first two weeks of classes, Regular Payroll students may obtain positions after the first two weeks of classes.
  • Upon receipt of the Referral Form, you must be hired by the supervisor and return the signed Referral Form to the Office of Financial Aid. This applies even if you are working for the same department that you previously worked.
  • Students may not work until all processes are completed and paperwork returned to the Office of Financial Aid. This applies to all students, regardless of information otherwise provided by other members of the campus.
  • Plan a work schedule with your supervisor

Important Information for All Students

  • You must be registered at least half-time to be eligible for a position. Priority is given to full-time CWS-eligible students.
  • In order to ensure all students are given the opportunity to work, a student may hold only one position at time. The only applicable exception are tutors. If you would like to obtain a different position than the one you are currently working, you must resign from your current position.
  • During break periods, a student may hold more than one position only with prior approval from the Office of Financial Aid (a Referral will be issued). Students who would like to work break periods must be registered for the following semester.
  • Any student interested in working in an on- or off-campus community service position with VITA, the NYC Public Service Corps, YMCA Virtual Y or any other community agencies must see the Office of Financial Aid for an application.
  • Any information or documents owed the Office of Financial Aid will impact your eligibility to receive a Referral. Be sure your paperwork is in order!
  • You may work a maximum of 20 hours per week.  Schedules should be established with your supervisor.
  • If you are experiencing any difficulties with your position or supervisor, please feel free to notify the Office of Financial Aid as we may be able to provide assistance.