SEP Frequently Asked Questions

Students must have filed a FAFSA and have financial need in order to be considered for CWS. Since financial aid may change throughout the year, your CWS eligibility may change at any time. If a student is no longer CWS-eligible, the student will receive an updated Financial Aid Offer or another form of notification.

All students are eligible for College Funded positions. Financial need does not have to be demonstrated to obtain such a position. Students who are CWS-eligible must utilize CWS funds in a CWS-funded position before being considered for Regular Payroll. As long as a department's budget is able to support Regular Payroll students, a CWS student may be transferred if CWS eligibility is exhausted.

If this is the first time you are working for Wagner College, you must complete a W-4 and I-9 form. Original forms of ID must be presented at this time. After completing this paperwork, you will be given a Referral Form to be signed by yourself and the hiring supervisor. Students who have worked for Wagner previously need only obtain a Referral Form. Only when the Referral Form has been returned to the Office of Financial Aid, may you begin working (regardless of what is communicated to the student by any other College employee).

Students awarded CWS are not guaranteed a job. All students must apply for and be hired for available positions on campus. However, CWS students are given priority placement during the first two weeks of classes. After the first two weeks of classes, remaining positions are opened to College-Funded students. Some departments will only employ CWS students; this will be indicated on the job posting.

Job postings can be found on the Student Employment Program Job Database .

Yes. Referrals must be completed each academic year and for the summer in order to work for a department.

No. If you have information that needs to be changed, a new W-4 should be completed.

You may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and 28 hours per week during summer and vacation periods.

The only students who are permitted to have more than one position are tutors. However, if you would like to change positions during the year, you must speak with your current supervisor and submit a resignation. The supervisor will need to contact the Office of Financial Aid to inform us of your resignation. Once notification has been received, you may obtain a Referral for another position.

Yes. Paychecks are available on the 10th of each month. If the 10th falls on a weekend, you will receive your paycheck the Friday immediately preceding the 10th.

Paychecks are available for pick-up at the Bursar's Office/Student Accounts window, 1st floor, Cunard Hall

Your supervisor should evaluate your job performance on a regular basis. The results of your evaluations may impact your ability to retain your position.

No. CWS students are given priority placement during the first two weeks of the fall semester. If you would like to keep the same position as you had in the previous year, you may request a Referral for that position, if there is an opening. If you are not CWS, may request a Referral for the position you held the prior year beginning the third week of the semseter. Positions will not be held for anyone

Minimum wage in NYS is $7.25 per hour. Most positions are minimum wage positions. Some have higher payrates because they require special certifications or higher skilled students. The total amount you will earn is dependent upon how many hours you wok per week (maximum 20 hours). If you are CWS, you need to budget the amount of hours you can work within your CWS allocation.

It is always best to attempt to address the problem with your supervisor first. However, you may always come to the Office of Financial Aid to speak with a Financial Aid Counselor


Have a question that you don't see here? Let us know!