International Student Employment

In addition to the federal, state and institutional regulations mentioned elsewhere on this site, below are the regulations in place by the United States in regard to work eligibility for foreign nationals. Any international student interested in working while on campus should read the information below.

    • Students on an F-1 visa are eligible to work on campus without authorization from US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) only if they will not be displacing a US citizen seeking employment
    • International students are only eligible for College-funded positions on campus and subject to the waiting period that other non-CWS students are subject to.
    • International students must have their employment approved by the International Student Advisor who will sign off on their I-20 form.
    • Students may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and 28 hours per week during break periods.
    • A review of valid identification for employment is required as well as completion of the W-4 and I-9 forms.
    • Any student interested in working in the US must have a valid Social Security Card. You may obtain information about the Social Security Card directly from the Social Security Administration.
      • Specific requirements for Non-citizens may be found here.
      • Locate a Social Security Office here.