Title: Wagner College Bonner Leaders Program Coordinator
Department: Center for Leadership and Community Engagement (CLCE)
Employment Status: Full time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Organizational Relationship: Reports to Director of the CLCE
Wagner College, a national leader in the higher education civic engagement movement, invites applicants for the position of Bonner Leaders Program Coordinator in the Center for Leadership and Community Engagement (CLCE). This is a full-time staff appointment. The ideal candidate is a former Bonner Leader or Bonner Scholar who graduated from college within the past 10 years.
Wagner College seeks an innovative, passionate and committed individual to coordinate the Bonner Leaders Program. The Coordinator is responsible for the Bonner Leaders Program as well as for developing and supporting Wagner student involvement in civic engagement and community-based learning. The Coordinator reports directly to the Director of the CLCE.
Wagner’s Bonner Leaders Program is a four-year leadership program for 48 undergraduate students who are highly motivated to do substantial community service and who demonstrate financial need. Bonner Leaders complete ten hours of service per week during the school year, along with significant training and enrichment activities. The Bonner motto is "Access to Education, Opportunity to Serve,” and rests on six Common Commitments: civic engagement, community building, diversity, international perspective, social justice, and spiritual exploration.
- Provide overall vision, leadership and direction for the Wagner College Bonner Leaders Program.
- Work closely with the Director of the CLCE and the Dean for Civic Engagement, and collaboratively within the CLCE to contribute to the vision, mission and implementation of community engagement across the College.
- Design, facilitate and assess the educational model and structure for the Bonner Program including weekly meetings that foster leadership, critical reflection and other skills for the Bonner Leaders that align with the Bonner developmental model.
- Provide ongoing mentoring and advising to Bonner Leaders, including a structured one-on-one meeting with each Leader at least once per semester.
- Plan and lead periodic service trips and retreats involving travel to other locations.
- Monitor students' completion of hours and other program requirements and convene the process for reviewing the status of students who are not meeting those requirements.
- In partnership with the CLCE Director and the Dean for Civic Engagement, recruit and select new Bonner Leaders.
- Maintain relations with the Bonner Foundation including completion of reports and information requests from the College and Foundation and regular participation in Bonner network conferences and activities.
- Market and promote the Bonner Program and other community engagement opportunities via a robust web, social media and print presence. Develop outreach and program materials to communicate with potential and current Bonner Scholars and program alumni.
- Maintain, update, and market community engagement and Bonner digital platforms.
- Supervise student workers and Bonner interns.
- Develop and maintain relationships with community partners to foster strong connections that help build capacity for both Wagner students and community partners.
- Connect students with community and campus resources to encourage their engagement with the campus and with Staten Island.
- Develop community engagement programming (e.g., service learning opportunities, community-based research opportunities and alternative service breaks) available to all students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Nothing in this job description restricts Management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- A bachelor’s degree (required)
- Previous experience with a Bonner program, and personal involvement with community service.
- Experience with nonprofit management, volunteer supervision, or program administration.
- Genuine enthusiasm for working with undergraduate college students in a liberal arts setting.
- Experience communicating with and supporting people from diverse backgrounds and an expressed commitment to uphold and further the CLCE’s 2018 Civic Action Plan
- Respect for student leadership, and the ability to develop and work with students as leaders. Ability to design, implement and assess training and programming curricula.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to produce written reports, respond to large numbers of emails, and effectively facilitate group exercises and meetings.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Availability for frequent evening and weekend work.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Word, Excel and social media.
- A valid driver’s license.
The ideal candidate will be able to attend the 2018 New Bonner Directors & Coordinators Orientation in Princeton, NJ. JULY 29 - AUGUST 1 and report to Wagner College on August 2nd or soon thereafter.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
To apply, please direct letters of interest and CVs or resumes to:
c/o Center for Leadership and Community Engagement
One Campus Road
Staten Island, NY 10301
email@example.com with the subject line "Bonner Coordinator"
No phone calls please. The review of applications will begin immediately.