Title: Director, Infrastructure and Systems
Department: Information Technology
Employment Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Organizational Relationship: Reporting to CIO
Job Purpose: The Director, Infrastructure & Systems is responsible for the maintenance and oversight of the College’s networking and systems environment. The incumbent will work closely all IT divisions to ensure best practices are implemented and data security policies are enforced. The Director of Infrastructure and Systems will also lead the systems, security, integration, and networking staff to develop and maintain systems, automation and security to support College-wide strategic initiatives.
- Manage, operate and oversee the College’s overall network and wireless infrastructure including, the daily operations of network traffic, routing, infrastructure wiring, student residential network connections, overall security and telecommunications.
- Work with the CIO and management to develop 1 year, 3 year and 5 year action plans for upgrading, expanding, and/or re-designing current and proposed infrastructure, hardware and communications systems to meet the College’s current and future requirements.
- Prepare and keep current documentation on all managed systems, including disaster recovery and business continuity plans.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration controls and procedures.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated, approaches for system administration tasks.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the security, integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up according to best practices.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Ensure security best practices are implemented and revised, as needed, to maintain the availability, integrity and confidentiality of the information stored on and accessed through the network (e.g. firewalls, ACLs, file rights, backup systems, account management, vulnerability testing, etc.)
- Responsible for creating, recommending and documenting network policies and procedures and establishing and administering daily system maintenance procedures for the network equipment
- Provide appropriate training regarding the network infrastructure, maintenance and essential procedures for new and continuing staff members
- Ensure network, computer security and data policies are enforced
- Manage the Infrastructure and Systems staff, including project prioritization, application support, professional development, and performance management.
- Assign projects to staff and manage the status of all projects assigned.
- Responsible for ensuring that the team delivers quality work at all phases of infrastructure and systems projects, documentation, planning and support.
Nothing in this job description restricts Management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Work Experience: 5-7 yrs system administration experience; 5-7 yrs supervisory experience; 3-5 yrs enterprise level network management experience; 2-3 yrs experience in managing enterprise level computer security
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certifications: Network & Security related certification preferred
Computer Skills: Linux, Windows Server, Active Directory, VMWare, LDAP, DNS, DHCP
Communication/Interpersonal Skills: excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and negotiation skills
SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS 24/7 on-call; some night and weekend work required
To Apply, please direct cover letters and resumes to: Joe Spina, CIO at email@example.com with the subject line “Director, Infrastructure and Systems”
No phone calls please.
The review of applications will begin immediately.
In compliance with NYC’s Pay Transparency Act, the annual base salary range for this position is $85,000 - $95,000. Wagner College considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and organizational considerations when extending an offer.
Wagner College achieves this mission through the implementation and enhancement of The Wagner Plan for the Practical Liberal Arts, which was formally launched in 1998. This innovative and bold curricular methodology is predicated on a method of integrated learning. It builds upon Wagner’s history of combining liberal arts and focused professional programs, coupled with our unique location and requires experiential learning for all students. The Plan has thus ushered in a new vision of engaged student learning that is at once reflective and integrated, theoretical and practical. Our goal has been, and continues to be, to provide a transformative college experience which best prepares our students for positions of effective and responsible leadership and citizenship in their chosen professions, and in their personal and public lives. From the outset, our faculty have eagerly led this learning centered endeavor.
Preparing all students for such leadership requires a coherent, efficient, effective and universal educational program and a focused Faculty and Administration, supported by an equally committed Board of Trustees.
Wagner College prepares students for life, as well as for careers, by emphasizing scholarship, achievement, leadership, and citizenship. Wagner offers a comprehensive educational program that is anchored in the liberal arts, experiential and co-curricular learning, interculturalism, interdisciplinary studies, and service to society, and that is cultivated by a faculty dedicated to promoting individual expression, reflective practice, and integrative learning.
Wagner College offers a generous benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision, pension and paid time off benefits to all full-time employees. The Wagner College Office of Human Resources partners with all members of the College community to cultivate a work environment that values equal opportunity, diversity equity inclusion and access, professional development and individual excellence.
Wagner College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wagner College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.