Position Title: Director of Career Planning & Development
Department: Wagner College and the Nicolais School of Business
Employment Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Organizational Relationship: Reports to Dean of the Nicolais School of Business with a dotted line to the Provost
We are seeking a professional to serve as the director of career planning and development at Wagner College and the Nicolais School of Business. Reporting to the Dean of the Nicolais School of Business with a dotted line to the Provost of the College, this individual will have a student-, employer-, and industry- facing role, serving as a voice for and a bridge between the Nicolais School of Business, Wagner College, and all groups as related to career-services. The individual will be responsible for the professional development of our undergraduate and graduate students, serve as a cultivator and manager of our business internship and professional development program, and the manager of industry relationships pertaining to internships and full-time placement.
As part of this role, this individual will work closely with the Provost/VP of Academic Affairs and the Center of Academic and Career Engagement to develop a broader vision and strategic plan to expand career services at the undergraduate and graduate level beyond the business school. The individual will play a key role in building out our career and professional development program and strategy at the school and College level to ensure student success and to increase the visibility of the Nicolais School and Wagner College in the broader business community.
Career Planning & Coaching
- Help students identify career goals and interests and prepare them for application and onboarding processes for internship and full-time opportunities.
- Help students develop and refine skills in resume, cover letter, and application essay writing; networking; interviewing; professional etiquette; LinkedIn, Handshake; and job search skills.
Career Pathways Professional Development Program
- Develop, manage, and execute the Nicolais School’s Professional Development and Career Pathways Program to ensure student career readiness.
- Manage operational details of mentorship and professional development programs.
- Coordinate, market, and facilitate workshops and class presentations.
- In collaboration with faculty, build a badging system for student success.
Industry and Employer Relationship Development & Outreach
- Proactively participate in identification, recruitment, and relationship management of employers through meetings, visits, online and in-person networking, and event attendance.
- Serve as the Nicolais School of Business point of contact to employers, recruiters, community partners who want to post internships or full time jobs.
- Identify internships and full-time jobs for students.
- Connect students with employers, jobs, internship, and experiential learning opportunities.
- Develop and manage the Nicolais School’s Business Internship Program.
- Place students in internships starting second semester of college experience.
- Develop partnerships with the college recruiters at firms of all sizes.
- Build on contacts to develop and grow the internship and full-time career database.
- Work closely with faculty to match students with internships. Provide support for BU 400 (Senior Capstone Class) and BU 397 (Internship Class).
- Organize company visits, career fairs, networking events, and industry expert panels.
- Work closely with faculty to identify key projects for class-based experiential learning opportunities and project-based learning.
Data and Analytics
- Administer and interpret career inventories and assessments.
- Create and maintain a database for internships, full-time opportunities, internships and full-time placement, and student exit surveys.
- Collaborate with alumni relations to create and maintain a database of Nicolais School of Business alumni.
- Evaluate success of various career-related initiatives (workshops, events, partnerships, and internships) to ensure the best experience for the students and employers.
Marketing & Reporting
- Develop marketing materials and strategies to help promote opportunities to and highlight successes of students and alumni. This would include but is not limited to social media content to strengthen the brand awareness and recognition of the Nicolais School of Business and Wagner College.
- Create and disseminate annual reports for internship and career-placement successes.
- Identify and amplify key student stories and experiential learning partnerships to a broad audience of employers, alumni, prospective students and parents.
- Develop a website and an app to ease student access to resources (including a subscription to Candid Career Video and People Grove)
- Build a strategic plan to expand career services at the undergraduate and graduate level, beyond the business school
- Work with current Center for Academic and Career Excellence staff to further envision career planning and to build an innovative model of workforce development.
- Create and implement a plan for introducing developmental stages of measurable career success for undergraduate and graduate students.
- In collaboration with the Provost and Dean, build a Career Advisory Board to benefit the whole College.
Nothing in this job description restricts Management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ relevant experience with demonstrated success in career development, higher education, human resources, or related field.
- Relevant industry experience in a business field.
- Experience in HR, recruiting, talent management.
- Master’s degree preferred. Significant work experience (5+ years) may supplement graduate degree.
- The individual must have a demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging particularly related to facilitating the success of a diverse student body.
70% of individual’s time will be dedicated to the Nicolais School of Business and the remainder to the College.
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
To apply: Please submit a resume, a cover letter indicating your interest in and qualifications for the position, and names of two references.
Email these materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis but we are eager to fill this position quickly.
Please reach out to Dr. Aarti Ivanic (email@example.com), Dean of the Nicolais School of Business with questions.
No phone calls please.
Wagner College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wagner College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.