Title: Financial Aid Counselor
Department: Financial Aid
Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Organizational Relationship: Assistant Director of Financial Aid and Director of Financial Aid
Job Purpose: To assist with the administration of the Office of Financial Aid.
• Meet with parents and students to discuss financial aid options available to them and their best possible alternatives to financing the cost of education at Wagner College and/or Study Abroad
• Coordinate, evaluate, create financial aid packages for the incoming and current student population
• Review of files and documents for the federal verification process
• Processing of federal, state, private and institutional funds for all students
• Responsible for documenting and updating of policies and procedures
• Review appeals and requests for special condition consideration
• Supervise student assistants
• Preparation and review of Award Letters
• Participate in various financial aid functions (i.e. – new student orientation, Campus Visit Days, Admitted Student Days, registration nights)
• Review and update of the office webpage
• Communicate with parents and students to resolve financial aid and/or billing-related matters
• Review and creation of documents, forms, publications
• Other duties as assigned by the Director or Assistant Director of Financial Aid
• Import and export of files to via EDCONNECT, EDExpress, Jenzabar and FileZilla (FTP)
• Maintenance of files in EDExpress
• Review student refund requests for accuracy and approval
• Answer phone calls which involves handling of detailed financial aid and billing-related questions
• Participation in cross-training with the Admissions staff
• Assist with training of Office of Financial Aid Staff
• Participation in professional development activities
• Reception duties
• Limited supervision of the Graduate Assistants
Nothing in this job description restricts Management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Work Experience: Two years minimum experience preferred
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required
Desired Work Traits: Working knowledge of the financial aid process and federal regulations; experience with financial aid packaging; ability to work independently and as part of a team; attention to detail required; ability to effectively solve problems and multi-task in a fast-paced environment; demonstrated competency in mathematics
Computer Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, internet and email in a network environment. Working knowledge of NSLDS, ELM, COD, EDExpress preferred; knowledge of Jenzabar CX, and file transfer protocol and html/website maintenance helpful.
Communication/Interpersonal Skills: Ability to communicate effectively via verbal and written communication; ability to actively listen, manage sensitive and/or difficult situations
• First floor in a building without an elevator or handicap access
• Travel may be required
• Evening and weekend hours required for special events. May be required to accommodate student/family schedules.
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references via email to:
Theresa Weimer, Director of Financial Aid
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Financial Aid Counselor"
No phone calls please. The review of applications will begin immediately.
Wagner College is an Equal Opportunity Employer