Title: Grounds keeper
Department: Campus Operations - Grounds
Employment Status: Full time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Organizational Relationship: Reports to working Grounds Forman
Job Purpose: To enhance and maintain the College’s grounds so that these provide a positive impression to existing and prospective students, employees and visitors.
- Daily maintenance of landscape areas throughout the college campus and related locations.
- Must be able to operate tractors, lawn mowers and drive trucks with standard shift.
- Mow, line trim, and police around all Wagner properties and athletic fields.
- Trim all scrubs, bushes and trees on Wagner properties and athletic fields.
- Collect garbage on all Wagner properties on Wagner properties and athletic fields.
- Paint the required lines, letters and numbers needed on athletic fields.
- Apply fertilizer and chemicals to all Wagner properties and athletic fields.
- Field man schedule is to be rotating as per games.
- On snow days all workers that are on-call have to come into work as required.
- When there is snow, shovel snow or plow snow on all Wagner properties.
- When there is snow, apply ice melting chemicals on all streets, paths, and staircases on all Wagner properties.
- Work on installation and repair of turf irrigation on all Wagner properties and all athletic fields.
- Dig trenches, plant, grade and landscape all Wagner properties and athletic fields as required.
Nothing in this job description restricts Management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- 5-7 years experience doing landscaping and landscape maintenance.
- Ability to drive standard shift including the ability to drive tractors and trucks.
- Mechanical skills working with lawn mowers, lime trimmers, chain saws and gas trimmers.
- Experience in gardening is required.
- High school diploma, GED or comparable education.
- Valid driver’s license.
Desired Work Traits:
- The successful candidate will be available to be called in to work at any time to remove a hazardous condition made by snow, ice, freezing rain or falling trees.
- The successful candidate will be expected to be available to work overtime the day proceeding and on any important dates. (Such as: an Open House, Homecoming, Commencement, and Athletic events important to the Wagner community). These dates are almost always posted on a calendar of events in advance.
- Ability to communicate effectively with various campus constituencies.
- The incumbent employee shall be included in the Local 30, I.U.O.E AFL-CIO bargaining unit and shall be employee subject to the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Local 30 and Wagner College.
- Must supply two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Ability to work overtime when necessary.
- Working in an outdoors environment.
- See attached physical assessment form.
SALARY: Commensurate with collective bargaining agreement
To apply, please direct letters of interest and resumes to:
One Campus Road
Staten Island, NY 10301
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Grounds Keeper". No phone calls please. The review of applications will begin immediately.
Wagner College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wagner College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.