Title: Grounds Working Foreman
Department: Campus Operations - Grounds
Employment Status: Full time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Organizational Relationship: Reports to Director of Campus Facilities
Job Purpose: To enhance and maintain the College’s grounds so that these provide a positive impression to existing and prospective students, employees and visitors.
- Daily maintenance, rehabilitation and/or creation of landscape areas throughout the college campus and related locations.
- Oversee and engage in tasks such as lawn mowing, shrubbery care and trimming; planting of flowers, shrubs, bushes, sod installation, irrigation systems, athletic field maintenance etc.
- Participate in budget planning and oversight within the department.
- Ensure that campus and external buildings are to be kept free and clear of snow and ice during inclement weather.
- Maintain proper inventory, supplies and equipment levels, order and arrange deliveries and/or pickups of such items, and insure that all such items are stored and maintained in proper order.
- Plow snow apply salt, calcium chloride or other ice melt products during winter season.
- Coordinate with specialty trades when necessary
- Oversee maintenance and repairs of all essential tools and equipment utilized by grounds personnel
- Schedule overtime for special events
- Monitor work order system, disburse work order tickets to grounds keepers and ensure requests are completed and closed out
- Tasks such as policing of the litter and garbage pickups.
- Plan, organize, direct, or coordinate activities of the workers engaged in landscaping or grounds keeping activities.
Nothing in this job description restricts Management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- 5-7 years experience doing landscaping and landscape maintenance.
- Ability to drive standard shift including the ability to drive tractors and trucks.
- Mechanical skills working with lawn mowers, lime trimmers, chain saws and gas trimmers.
- Experience in trimming all types of shrubs.
- Experience in aeration and top dressing of turf grass.
- Some knowledge and experience with working on budgets.
- Knowledge of flowers and shrubs and their suitability to sun.
- Knowledge of grading and preparing soil and installing sod.
- Knowledge of the sequence of bloom in several flowers and scrubs.
- Knowledge of treating disease, fertilizing, and pruning roses.
- Knowledge of treatments for turf grass regarding weeds, diseases and insects.
- Knowledge of the care of cool season turf grass.
- Knowledge of irrigation, setting of clocks and some minor repairs.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn about painting and laying out athletic fields.
- High school diploma, GED or comparable education.
- Valid driver’s license.
Desired Work Traits:
- Ability to motivate workers.
- Strong initiative with ability to work with limited direct supervision.
- Ability to forecast labor, materials and equipment needs based on the Colleges calendar.
- Ability to direct, train and supervise crew to ensure completion of assignments while maintaining a safe work environment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft/Google suites a plus
- Basic email and web skills required
- Good telephone skills for interacting with contractors and ordering materials.
- Ability to communicate effectively with various campus constituencies.
- The incumbent employee shall be included in the Local 30, I.U.O.E AFL-CIO bargaining unit and shall be employee subject to the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Local 30 and Wagner College.
- Ability to work overtime when necessary.
- Required to be available for 27/7 support.
- Working in an outdoors environment.
SALARY: Commensurate with collective bargaining agreement
To apply, please direct letters of interest and resumes to:
One Campus Road
Staten Island, NY 10301
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Grounds Working Foreman". No phone calls please. The review of applications will begin immediately.
Wagner College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wagner College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.