Title: Maintenance Mechanic
Department: Campus Operations - Maintenance
Employment Status: Full time - Temporary
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Organizational Relationship: Reports to working Maintenance Foreman
Job Purpose: To perform basic skilled and/or semi skilled work in the repair and maintenance of Wagner buildings and all campus related facilities.
- Perform general and various construction or repair work involving knowledge of several maintenance areas such as general maintenance, carpentry, painting and masonry.
- Perform a variety of tasks involving electrical, plumbing, roof repair, painting, carpentry and flooring at buildings and campus facilities.
- Use and maintain the more common hand and power tools of the trade.
- Frequently lift and move heavy or large objects.
- Construct, install and repair a variety of building supports, fixtures or accessories.
- Communicate with the Foreman and assistant concerning materials and tools needed to complete work orders.
- Sign off on completed work orders.
Nothing in this job description restricts Management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Prior maintenance or related field work preferred.
- Excellent Carpentry skills preferred.
- Knowledge of building crafts and facility maintenance.
- Basic knowledge of carpentry, electrical and plumbing methods, tools, equipment and materials.
- Basic knowledge of techniques used in painting, carpentry, roofing and floor maintenance.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision or instruction.
- Ability to prioritize projects or requested work orders.
- High School Diploma
- Valid Driver’s License
Desired Work Traits:
- Strong initiative with the ability to work with limited direct supervision.
- The successful candidate will be expected to be available to work overtime when needed for important events. (Such as: an Open House, Homecoming, Commencement, and Athletic events important to the Wagner community). These dates are almost always posted on a calendar of events in advance.
- Good telephone skills for interacting with outside vendors and ordering materials.
- Ability to communicate effectively with various campus constituencies.
- The incumbent employee shall be included in the Local 3 bargaining unit and shall be an employee subject to the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Local 2 and Wagner College.
- Ability to work overtime when necessary.
- Ability to wear and work with appropriate safety masks and required protective equipment.
- Some conditions may require the ability to be exposed to a variety of temperatures, dust, dirt and noise from equipment.
SALARY: Commensurate with collective bargaining agreement
To apply, please direct letters of interest and resumes to:
One Campus Road
Staten Island, NY 10301
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Maintenance Mechanic". No phone calls please. The review of applications will begin immediately.
Wagner College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wagner College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.