Wagner College is proud to announce our programming and events designed to celebrate the rich contributions of Asian American Pacific Islanders.
This year, the theme for Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month is “Stop AAPI Hate: Solidarity, Resilience, Community, and Celebration.” Since the pandemic, we have witnessed acts of violence and hatred directed at the Asian and Pacific Islander communities. Nationally Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month is celebrated in May. Wagner College celebrates in April to accommodate the academic calendar and during this month’s celebration, we want to raise awareness of the roots of these hate-filled acts of violence whether verbal or physical while making space to create joy, healing, education, and celebrate the richness of the Asian and Pacific Islander cultures.
The AAPI community is far from monolithic. It comprises people from a region that includes Far East Asia, Southeast Asia, the Indian Subcontinent, and the Pacific Islands, with over 100 languages and dialects represented. Given the vast geographic range, there are large differences in religion, cultural beliefs, and practices that will be highlighted throughout our program for this month.
|AAPI Healing Circle
|Tuesdays, Apr 13th - May 4th
|Bystander Intervention Training to Stop Anti-Asian/American and Xenophobic Harassment
|May 14th, May 20th and May 24th
|Unlearning Anti-Blackness & the Model Minority Myth (Part 3 of 3) by Amplify RJ
|Saturday, April 24th
|Deconstructing the Model Minority Myth
|Tentatively May 4th or May 6th
|Virtual Yoga and meditation
|The Asian Pacific American Heritage Festival 2021
We all have an important role to play in healing and to speak up against repression. The Center for Intercultural Advancement urges the Wagner College community members to speak up against anti-Asian attacks. For those looking to learn more, better understand how to be an ally, and help the AAPI community on and off campus to fight Anti-Asian Racism, we offer the following resources:
Information & Additional Reading
- PBS Asian Americans Documentary Series (PBS)
- How American Mythologies Fuel Anti-Asian Violence (Yale Insights)
- Opinion | We Need to Put a Name to This Violence (NY Times)
- How millennial Nobel Prize nominee Amanda Nguyen’s viral video sparked coverage of anti-Asian racism (CNBC)
- Addressing Anti-Asian Attacks With Transformative Justice (Yes Magazine)
- The Same Hate That Targeted Muslims Is Turning on Asian Americans Now (Daily Beast)
- Are We Allies? Black Americans vs Asian Americans | Middle Ground (Jubilee via YouTube)