Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity Statement and Guiding Principles
Wagner College commits to fostering greater diversity, equity, and inclusion at every level of the institution. This requires the building of a community of students, faculty, administration, and staff who reflect the diversity of our society. The College recognizes the educational benefits for all its members that flow from such a community. We acknowledge past and present social inequities and seek to address them. The College encourages inquiry and reasoned dialogue in a climate of mutual respect and openness that enables genuine liberal art and professional education.
To this end, we are guided by the following principles:
- The College values diversity in all forms— including diversity of age, culture, disability, economic background, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, opinion, political affiliation, race, religious background, sexual orientation and veteran status.
- The College offers a welcoming and inclusive environment of mutual respect and reciprocity for students, faculty, staff and community, near and far, of all backgrounds and identities.
- The College provides broad administrative, programmatic and academic support and resources to achieve its institutional goals for diversity, which is reflected in its recruitment and retention strategies.
- The College commits to a curricular experience that incorporates pedagogical methods that engage students with differing abilities, explores texts from diverse perspectives, promotes intercultural understanding and cultivates inclusive excellence.
- The College prepares students from all backgrounds and identities to live, work and thrive in a global society.
Updated October 4, 2017
The following people worked to create this statement: Dean Curtis Wright, Dr. Ruta Shah-Gordon, Vice President Angelo Araimo, Dr. John Esser, Dr. Lori Weintrob, Dr. Cyril Ghosh, Ms. Jazzmine Clarke-Glover and Coach Bashir Mason