International Student Service

Welcome to New York City!

Wagner College welcomes students from all over the world every year. Though we are a small college, we have a vibrant international community and are dedicated to making our campus a more globally aware community.

The Center for Intercultural Advancement serves to further that mission and provides a space for international students (including dual American passport holders and Americans raised/living mostly outside of the U.S.A.) to feel at home at Wagner, in New York City, and in the U.S.A.

Your time at Wagner College begins during New Student Orientation in which you get to meet other students from throughout the world who have come looking for the same quality experience at our college. As the week progresses, you will become a member of the Wagner College community, meeting students from throughout the New York City area and the rest of the U.S.A.


F-1 and J-1 students

Interested in attending Wagner College? Learn where to get admission information. Anyone interested in becoming a student must apply using the Common Application or Wagner College Application. Please refer to admissions contact information for:

International applicant for admission to Wagner College must meet English language requirement set by the school. Information about English language requirements can be found below.

To know more about the English Requirement, please visit the FAQ for undergraduate and graduate admissions.

Please visit the undergraduate scholarships and NAFSA website for information about financial aid for undergraduate international students.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires prospective students to provide proof of their ability to pay for their study and living expenses while in the United States. Financial statements must be in the English language and must be notarized.


There are many types of non-immigration statuses for foreign nationals coming to the United States. Each has it own purpose, restrictions, and benefits. F-1 and J-1 statuses are designated as full-time students statuses.


At Wagner College, F-1 status is more common, but we do have J-1 students, too. Both of these statuses will allow you to study at Wagner College and both allow for on-campus and some off-camp us authorization. There’s no “better” or “worse” status, one or the other might be more beneficial to your personal circumstance.

Although both allow for similar activities, there are few important differences between the two statuses, however, so please read the information below carefully and contact our office if you have any further questions about how to choose a status.

Eligibility for F-1 and J-1 Status

The eligibility requirements foe F-1 and J-1 student status are as follows:

  • F-1: All full-time, admitted students. To be eligible for F-1, you must be admitted to a full-time program of study, meet the English requirement, and be able to show proof of funding for at least the first year of study.
  • J-1: Individuals approved participate in work-and-study-based exchange visitor programs
    To be eligible for J-1, you must be enrolled in an exchange partner program institution and approved by Wagner College to participate in a full-time course of study for one semester or a full academic year.

If you are eligible for both F-1 and J-1 status (i.e. receiving an outside award for at least 51% of your tuition charges), you can choose between F-1 and J-1 status by reviewing the chart below.


F-1  J-1
Enter 30 days before program start date Enter 30 Days before program start date
60 days grace period to depart U.S. or change status at end of program 30 day grace period to depart U.S. or change at status end of program
Immediately eligible for up to 20 hours/week of campus work authorization; unlimited work authorization on breaks while remaining in F-1 status Immediately eligible for up 20 hours/week of on-campus work authorization unlimited on-campus work authorization on breaks while remaining in J-1 status
Spouses in F-2 status cannot study or work Spouses in J-2 status can study, and are also eligible for work authorization with application to immigration service
No home residency requirement, which may be an issue for J-1 May be subject to 2 year home residency if receiving government funding or you are from a country on the skills list
Main types of off-campus work authorization:

1) Optional Practical Training (OPT), Eligible after completion of one year of study for up to 12 months per educational level of full-time off-campus authorization related to program of study. Can be used either during or after program of study. Requires application to immigration service; processing takes 3-4 months and requires a fee. Exchange students not eligible. Does not require a job offer, so you can use it after graduation to look for a job.

2) Curricular Practical Training

Main type of off-campus work authorization: Academic Training (AT).

Eligible for off-campus work authorization related to program of study up to 18 months for bachelors and masters students or length of academic program whichever is shorter, up to 3 years for doctoral students. Exchange students can be eligible for AT corresponding to the amount of time in program (i.e. 90 days study = 90 days AT eligibility). Authorized through CICA without application to immigration service or fee. Requires a job offer, so you must have a job lined up before graduation.

Form I-20 DS-2019

If you have any questions about choosing a status for study, please do not hesitate to contact our office at