J-1 Visa

J-1 Visa Defined
The J-1 visa is generally used for students in specific educational exchange programs such as the Fulbright, LASPAU, DAAD, AmidEast, etc. Educational institutions, such as Wagner College, may also sponsor J-1 visas for students in their degree programs. The purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is to provide foreign nationals with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States and return home to share their experiences. The J-1 visa program is managed by a shared database called SEVIS.
To be eligible for a J-1 visa sponsored by Harvard, one must first meet the following criteria:
At least 50% of the cost of tuition and fees comes from sources other than personal funds, such as a government agency, official scholarship agency or employer; (student personal loans, e.g. HELP loans do not qualify)
The student's government funding requires the use of the J-1 visa based on receiving a government scholarship.

Visit http://j1visa.state.gov/ for more info