1. COMPLETE THE ATTACHED APPLICATION FORMS
-OPT REQUEST FORM (PICK UP A PACKET IN THE CICA OFFICE)
-FACULTY ADVISOR FORM: Your academic advisor must complete the entire form and sign it. It is a good idea to first spend some time discussing your practical training plans with your advisor and/or department’s chairperson. The advisor is certifying that the work you are preparing to do is directly related to what you have been studying at Wagner College, and that it is work suited to your level of education.
-Form I-765: APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION
- Item # 9 – Social Security number -- leave it blank if you don’t have one.
- Item #10 – A-Number or I-94 Number – Put your I-94 number unless USCIS has previously assigned you an alien registration number.
- Item #11 – If you have ever applied for hardship or optional practical training employment before, answer yes, where and when you applied, whether it was granted or denied and attach a photocopy of that EAD card. Your Certification – Sign, put your telephone number and the date
2. ATTACH THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS TO YOUR APPLICATION:
- Two Passport-style Photographs. See the attached requirements for the photos. DO NOT CUT THE PHOTOS DOWN. Lightly print your name on the back of each photo in pencil.
- Wagner Form I-20. Also, photocopies of all previous I-20’s from every school you ever attended in the U.S.
- Photocopy of any previous EAD Card(s). If you never had a previous EAD Card, attach photocopies of your passport identification pages, visa, Form I-94.
- -$380 fee in the form of a check or money order. Make it payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”. If you are using a personal check, it must have your name and address printed on it. A fee is required because the work is considered training in addition to your education; it is not merely a work permit.
INFORMATION ABOUT APPLICATION PROCESSING
Send your application to USCIS by certified mail, return receipt requested to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox.
For Postal Service deliveries: USCIS PO Box 660867 Dallas, TX 75266
For Express mail & courier service deliveries:
USCIS Attn: AOS 2501 S. State Hwy. 121, Business Suite 400 Lewisville, TX 75067
Estimate that USCIS will take two to three months to process your application. Unfortunately, there is no way to make it go faster. You cannot begin working until you have received your EAD Card. Your I-20 cannot be endorsed for reentry to the U.S. unless you have obtained a job.
You will receive: the return receipt (green postcard) after USCIS has received your application; a “Notice of Action” from USCIS; and finally your EAD card.
It is important that you bring these items to the International Student Advisor as soon as you receive them. They may contain information necessary for the completion of your application or other action.