Social Security Number

In order to accept any form of employment either on- or off-campus, it is necessary to have a Social Security number. To obtain a Social Security number you must visit a Social Security office and complete an application. You may complete the application before hand and bring it with you to the office.


HOW DO YOU APPLY? To apply for a Social Security number you must appear in person at the Social Security Office and complete an application form (available only at the Social Security Office). Take with you the following items:

  •   Your valid passport
  •  Your valid I-94 (small white card in passport)
  •   Your Form DS-2019 A letter from the International Student Advisor verifying your status as an J-1 student
  • A copy of your class schedule
  •  A letter from the prospective employer stating a job offer or
  • A letter from your department stating a graduate assistantship

If you are authorized for optional practical training, academic training or off-campus work permission based on economic necessity, you should present your Employment Authorization Document (EAD card). If you are authorized for J-1 curricular practical training, you should present your Form DS-2019 endorsed for curricular practical training.
It may take about six weeks to receive your card in the mail. When you apply, you will receive a receipt from the Social Security Office. You should keep this receipt as proof of your application for a number.
Please be aware that a Social Security Number does NOT authorize you to accept employment off campus. Permission to accept off-campus employment can only be granted by USCIS.

The Social Security Office is located at: 1510 Hylan Boulevard 2nd Fl Staten Island NY 10305
It is open 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Telephone: 1-800-772-1213
If you wish to obtain a driver’s license or register a motor vehicle in New York State, you will be required to provide a social security number or a letter from the Social Security Administration. Their office on Hylan Boulevard will provide the required letter upon request.