This comprehensive 50 hour course will prepare students to enter the pharmacy field and to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s PTCB exam.
Course content includes:
- overview and evolution of the pharmaceutical/pharmacy industry
- review of pharmacy settings and opportunities for employment
- medical terminology specific to the pharmacy
- reading and interpreting prescriptions
- prescription label requirements and order transcription
- review of all major classes of brand name and generic drugs
- pharmacy measures, calculations, conversions, roman numerals and abbreviations
- aseptic technique
- basics of IV solutions
- special circumstances: children’s, pregnancy, patient medical history
- dispensing of prescriptions
- ordering and inventory control
- pricing, billing, payment and third-party reimbursement
Pharmacy Technicians work in hospitals, home infusion pharmacies, community pharmacies, long term care facilities, clinics, mail-order companies and other healthcare settings under the supervision of a registered pharmacist. Their main responsibilities are:
- filling and dispensing prescriptions
- checking inventories and ordering supplies
- assisting customers
- completing insurance forms
- keeping pharmacy work areas clean
As of March 2021, Pharmacy Technicians must be licensed in New York State to work as a “Registered Pharmacy Technician”. To be eligible for NYS licensing students must take the PTCB Exam or NHA exam which is not included in the course tuition.
Fall 2022 Dates TBD
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.