This comprehensive 50 hour course will prepare students to enter the pharmacy field and to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s PTCB exam.
Course content includes:
- overview and evolution of the pharmaceutical/pharmacy industry
- review of pharmacy settings and opportunities for employment
- medical terminology specific to the pharmacy
- reading and interpreting prescriptions
- prescription label requirements and order transcription
- review of all major classes of brand name and generic drugs
- pharmacy measures, calculations, conversions, roman numerals and abbreviations
- aseptic technique
- basics of IV solutions
- special circumstances: children’s, pregnancy, patient medical history
- dispensing of prescriptions
- ordering and inventory control
- pricing, billing, payment and third-party reimbursement
Pharmacy Technicians work in hospitals, home infusion pharmacies, community pharmacies, long term care facilities, clinics, mail-order companies and other healthcare settings under the supervision of a registered pharmacist. Their main responsibilities are:
- filling and dispensing prescriptions
- checking inventories and ordering supplies
- assisting customers
- completing insurance forms
- keeping pharmacy work areas clean
As of March 2021, Pharmacy Technicians must be licensed in New York State to work as a “Registered Pharmacy Technician”. To be eligible for NYS licensing students must take the PTCB Exam or NHA exam which is not included in the course tuition.
March 15 – May 19, 2022
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.