Gail Tiburzi, MPA, PA-C, graduate coordinator of Wagner College’s Physician Assistant Program, will serve as the program’s interim director this fall.
She takes the reins after Nora Lowy, Ph.D., MPA, PA-C, outgoing P.A. program director, accepted an appointment at Fairleigh Dickinson University.
“I am very appreciative that Gail Tiburzi has stepped up during this time of transition,” said Wagner College President Joel W. Martin. “She has a distinguished record of service in the program and at Wagner College.”
Gail Tiburzi earned her bachelor of science degree in biology, with a minor in chemistry, from Wagner College. She earned her physician assistant certificate from the Bayley Seton Hospital P.A. program, and her master’s degree in public administration with a concentration in health care administration from Long Island University–Brooklyn.
Tiburzi has been a practicing physician assistant for 25 years, a working educator for 20 years, and a member of the Wagner College faculty for 7 years. Her last position, prior to joining the Wagner faculty, was assistant program director at Bayley Seton.
Tiburzi has clinical experience in neurosurgery, plastic surgery and, most recently, occupational medicine at Richmond University Medical Center.
“We look forward to working with Gail, the staff, our students and others to make the program, already a gem, truly outstanding,” said President Martin. “Please join me in supporting Gail and her team as we work together to make Wagner proud.”
Tiburzi is stepping into the shoes of Nora Lowy, who led Wagner College’s P.A. Program from its inception.
“Nora’s dedication to our students, her acumen in organizing the curriculum and clinical placements, her fluency in communicating the outcomes of the program and benefits to society are legendary,” said President Martin. “In the very short time that I’ve been here, I’ve joined her fan club. I wish her the very best in her new endeavor.”
FACTS ABOUT THE P.A. PROGRAM
- When surveyed, members of the last three graduating classes rated their overall professional preparedness as 4.5 out of 5.
- 94% of students who enrolled in the program successfully completed their degrees.
- 100% of graduates obtained state licensure and certification from the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
- 100% of graduates are employed as P.A.s in their fields of interest.
- Our P.A. program has more than 40 clinical affiliates in New York City, and four international clinical sites.
- All students participate in faculty-advised group research studies, acquiring the tools for lifelong learning and continued scholarship.