On the first day of classes for the remarkable Fall 2020 semester, we welcome the members of Wagner College's Class of 2024 to Grymes Hill!
Here are a few fun facts about the Class of 2024:
- Incoming Class of 2024: 384 students
- Average GPA: 90.2
- Average SAT: 1160
- Number of U.S. states: 27. Most students come from the following states: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, California.
- Number of countries outside the U.S.: 16 (Afghanistan, Bahamas, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Dominican Republic, France, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Romania, Serbia, Spain, United Arab Emirates)
- Freshmen who live the farthest away: Indonesia (9,699 miles) and New Zealand (9,037 miles)
- Freshman who lives the closest: 0.5 miles
Wagner College also welcomes 116 new transfer students this fall.
On a historical note: Our incoming freshman class has experienced deeply trying circumstances before.
- In 1918, the first students to enroll at our new Staten Island campus (leaving our first home in Rochester, N.Y., that summer) moved in (a) during the Spanish flu pandemic and (b) while World War I still raged across Europe.
- In 1942, 1943, 1944 and 1945, first-year students moved in during wartime. Many Wagner students, faculty members and staff enlisted in the armed forces or trained in the Nurse Cadet Corps during World War II.
- In 2011, the entire freshman class was evacuated to the Sutter Gymnasium and spent their orientation weekend sheltering together while Hurricane Irene blew around them like ... well, like a hurricane!
Wagner College students come from a long tradition of pulling together in the very toughest of circumstances. We can face the current crisis together, too!