Mission of the Nursing Program at the Baccalaureate Level
The undergraduate nursing program at Wagner College is designed to prepare students to become professional nurses who will be able to promote, restore, and maintain the health of individuals and groups within society. This program is based on a core of knowledge, capitalizing on liberal arts and the sciences to foster learning about nursing theory and practice, health, the individual, and the environment. These foundations are the organizing framework for the nursing curriculum. Upon completion of the program, the graduate will be able to assume the responsibility of working as a generalist in a variety of institutional and community health care settings, utilizing the abilities of inquiry and critical analysis for an evidenced based approach to practice. The program provides a thorough base for continued professional growth at the graduate level in order to meet the demands and challenges of the changing health care system.
Student Learning Outcomes:
At the completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- evaluate the impact of the bio-psychological, spiritual and socio-cultural stressors on an individual's state of health as he/she interacts with the environment;
- demonstrate the ability to integrate knowledge of diverse cultures in providing access to quality preventative health care, community based nursing services across the continuum of care for individuals, families and groups;
- utilize the nursing process to promote, restore, and maintain the optimum health of individuals and groups;
- synthesize knowledge from nursing and related disciplines as a source for making decisions in nursing practice;
- educate through the teaching/learning process individuals, families and groups in order to optimize their states of health;
- use the research process to expand their own nursing knowledge and practice;
- demonstrate the leadership role of the professional nurse as a beginning practitioner in a variety of settings; and demonstrate the responsibility and accountability of a professional nurse.
- practice nursing within a community-based approach to the delivery and evaluation of healthcare.
For more information download Undergraduate Nursing Student Handbook 2019-20 Edition Available Soon