Research Opportunities in Psychology

Research experience is key to graduate school admission. Students may engage in research/independent study as a student enrolled in PS 593. To sign up for PS 593, a student must have at least 5 earned units and a GPA of 3.0 or greater in the department in which she/he wishes to do the independent study and have permission of the faculty member they wish to supervise them, the department head, and the Registrar.

Independent study projects may be done to earn departmental honors or to complete an honors program project (must be member of honors program) if they meet those requirements (see Undergraduate Bulletin for minimum GPA and units requirements). Students may also engage in research with a faculty member without earning academic credit. Students are encouraged to consult faculty early about research opportunities and it is best to start research projects no later than the fall of the senior year if possible.