What to Bring & Not Bring to the Residence Halls!
Packing for college can be a difficult time. The Office of Residential Education wants to provide you with some information about things you should consider bringing with you! Also, Res Ed has completed a list of items you should not bring.
Note, this list isn’t all encompassing, but a good place to start! It is not necessary to purchase all of the items on the list below. These are just recommendations of what past students have brought!
- Twin extra-long bedding (pillows, pillow cases, mattress protector, sheet sets, blankets, etc.)
Storage & Organization
- Bins/Tote Organizers
- Underbed Storage
- Hooks/Hook Racks
- Wall Safe Adhesive
- Towel Set
- Shower Tote/Caddy
- Flip Flops/Shower Shoes
- Personal Hygiene Products
- Desk Lamp
- Desk Organizers
- School Supplies!
- Message/Dry Erase Board
Laundry & Cleaning
- Laundry Basket
- Pop-Up Hamper
- Drying Rack
- All Purpose Cleaners
- Laundry Detergent & Dryer Needs
- Iron/Ironing Board
Personal Items & Other Considerations
- Identification cards
- Over the Counter Medicines
- Phone Charger
- Photos/Memories (some, not all)
- Surge Protectors
- Mini-fridges and microwaves
- Two TVs too many! For students who need to catch their weekly Thursday night stories or the game on Sunday, it’s good for one person to bring the TV!
- Area Rug (if that’s their style)
- Floor lamps (review policy)
Prohibited Fire Safety Items
- The use of cigarettes, e-cigarettes, ‘vapes’, etc.
- Any candle (burnt or unburnt), incense, or appliance with open face heating coils or elements such as hot pots, coffee pots, electric grills, toasters and hot plates.
- Note: Coffee makers that use pods to make individual servings are permitted.
- Fireworks, firecrackers or any other chemicals which are of an explosive or corrosive nature are prohibited on College property or at any College function.
- Firearms, ammunition, offensive or defensive weapons, paintball guns, BB guns, sling shots, water guns, swords, stun guns, knives and any other item that may be determined a weapon by the college.
- Gasoline or any other flammable liquids.
- Kerosene heaters, oil lamps, immersion coils and space heaters not provided by the College.
- Internal combustion engines (motorcycles, mopeds).
- Charcoal or gas grills.
- Personal electronic transportation devices such as e-scooters and hoover boards.
Prohibited Electrical Items
- Non-UL approved power cord or extension cords. All power suppliers must have surge protector and automatic shutoff.
- No suppliers or over-utilized electrical sockets.
- Light fixtures where the lamp is exposed in the up position, including neon lights.
- LED adhesive strip lights.
- Oversized refrigerators taller than 4 cubic feet.
- Microwave ovens over 700 watts.
Prohibited Technology Items
- Any non-UL approved charging cables, power adapters or extensions.
- Network Routers
- Network Switches
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) Access-Points
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) Extenders
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) Routers
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) enabled printers (you can use the printer, only if the Wi-Fi is disabled, so please bring a USB cable to connect your printer to your laptop)
For more assistance with Information Technology questions, please visit our HelpDesk page.
Prohibited Room Furnishings
- Live cut Christmas trees
- Air conditioners.
- 50% space on each wall in the room must be left uncovered.
- Shelves and other structures may not be attached to room furnishings, walls, ceilings or floors.
- Any item hanging from or attached to the fire sprinkler pipes or sprinkler heads.
- Privately purchased couches, large arm chairs, coffee tables, or any other non-college owned furniture for one’s private use.
- Decorations promoting, celebrating or encouraging the use of alcohol or illegal substances, including flags, posters or decorations.
- Students cannot provide furnishing for lounges/lounge spaces. Items in this area will be discarded.
- Tapestries, wall hangings and posters that cover more than 50% are prohibited.
- LED adhesive strip lights.
- Items that obstruct a doorway, strobe- light smoke detector, and any wood structure.
- Mattresses and beds not provided by the college, water beds
- Personal non-upholstered furniture made of bamboo or rattan.
- Futons that do not comply with California Technical Bulletin 129 or BFD 1X-11
Residential Education as partnered with Our Campus Market for a linen program. This is optional for students but should they want to explore it they can do so here: https://www.ocm.com/WAG/linensponsor
Additional Prohibited Items
- Any pet or laboratory animal, except fish.
- Dogs are not permitted on campus (exception is service animals).
- Pet equipment, food, supplies, or paraphernalia.
- Old/empty alcohol bottles as decorations.
- Items alluding to drug use/paraphernalia, including posters.
- Placing any furniture or other items in stairwells or coordinators, which limits emergency egress.
- Personal door locks other than those provided by the College.
- Space heaters (exception: one’s provided by Wagner Campus Operations Department).