The safety of our students is an important consideration for the College. Even though the Grymes Hill apartments are not directly on campus, they are staffed by members of the Office of Residential Education and patrolled by Public Safety.
- Public Safety officers conduct rounds of the Grymes Hill apartments.
- The Grymes Hill apartments are also occupied by students from St. John’s University, and its security department has a regular presence in the complex.
For routine safety questions or assistance, students should contact the Public Safety Main Gate at (718) 390-3148.
In any emergency situation, residents should contact 911 directly, and follow up as quickly as possible with a call to the Public Safety Main Gate.
- Use your peephole to identify the person who is knocking before you open the door.
- When traveling after dark, try to arrange to walk or ride with friends or request an escort from the Public Safety Main Gate.
- Walk with confidence and don’t hesitate to switch to the other side of the street if you suspect that you are being followed.
- Call home before you begin to walk to let your roommates know where you are and when to expect you home.
- Always have your keys in hand before you approach your car or apartment, and look around before you open the door.
- Keep your door locked at all times, even when you are home.
- Never leave an extra key outside for any reason.
- The second floor common hallway door should be closed and locked at all times.