Student Staff Selection 2019-2020
Dear Wagner Community Member,
We are so excited you are considering to join our team! The Office of Residential Education runs a Resident Assistant recruitment process for the 2019-2020 academic year. The goal of our process is to identify prospective candidates to join our team to help foster and support the growth of our residential communities.
The application process for the RA process has 3 steps. Step 1 is for the interested student to attend an information session. After the information session, an application will be sent. Step 2 is for the candidate to complete the application and submit it by the deadline. Step 3 is for the candidate to attend an interview day- where you have a group interview (called Group Process) in the morning and an individual interview in the afternoon.
Our goal is to make the RA recruitment process a learning experience for all. Although we would love to hire everyone, we are not able to do so. The process is one that values reflection, development, and individuality. There is no “cookie-cutter” RA. We are excited to get to know YOU!
Finally, as you consider the process, be advised that the recruitment and selection process for Community Leaders in Residential Education is separate from the Resident Assistant recruitment process. If you are interested in the Community Leader position, please reach out to a member of our team.
Resident Assistant Recruitment Selection Co-Chairs:
Thomas D. Tressler-Gelok
Director of Residential Education & Retention Specialist
Graduate Residential Coordinator, Towers Hall
Professional Staff Committee Members:
Amanda Hemond, Area Coordinator
Joseph Revander, Graduate Residential Coordinator
Student Staff Committee Members:
Gina, Jonathan, Renata, Daniel, & Emily
Please note that applications are made available to those that attend an information session.
Next information sessions are 11/18 at 11am and 11/29 at 9pm. All are located in the Manzulli Board Room in Foundation Hall.
New Resident Assistant Applicant Process
Sunday, January 20th, 2019 by 11:59:59pm– Online application due
Saturday, January 26th, 2019 – Group and individual interview day
Thursday, February 7th, 2018 – Decision letters sent
All communication is sent to the Wagner.edu email account.
Resident Assistants and Residential Community Leaders are student leaders that contribute to the success and well-being of students living on campus at Wagner. Student staff facilitates the development of an inclusive community on the floor and within the building they live through planning and implementing programs that uphold the Department’s mission and goals. Student Staff establishes relationships with all the residents of the floor and demonstrates availability and approachability to residents. Resident Assistants and Residential Community Leaders serve as role models and representatives of Wagner College both on and off campus.
In addition to the specific job responsibilities listed below, both RAs and CLs are expected to possess a positive attitude which embraces the mission, policies, and procedures of Residential Education. Staff members are also expected to exercise good use of personal judgment to protect their credibility which is critical to their ability to perform this job.
In order to apply for a Resident Assistant position, prospective candidates must attend one of the following information sessions. At these information sessions, the application process will be reviewed! Please keep an eye out on information sessions which run in October, November and December.
For those who are studying abroad in the Fall semester OR a new transfer student for the Spring semester, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an individual session.
- Facilitate the development of an inclusive community on floor assigned.
- Plan and implement programs that uphold the Department’s mission and goals.
- Establishes relationships with all residents of the floor and demonstrates availability and approachability to residents.
- Respond to emergency and crisis situations.
- Serve on an on-call duty rotation.
- Participates in weekly staff meetings (Mondays at 9pm), Summer Training (typically 2 weeks prior to start of Fall Semester), Winter Training (typically half week prior to the start of Spring Semester), and other departmental functions.
- Serve as a role model and representative of Wagner College both on and off campus.
- Please feel free to review the job description from the 2015-2016 academic year: RA Job Description 2019-20
- Full-time student status
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.7
- Good judicial standing with the College
- Appreciation of the mission of the department
- All rising Sophomore, Junior and Senior undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.
- An RA room
- A basic meal plan
- The compensation for the position equates to approximately $13,000. Thus, this benefit may impact financial aid packages.
- If you have any concerns about changes in your financial aid package due to the RA position, please see a counselor in the Office of Financial Aid.
Some tips if you are thinking about applying
- Ask an RA.
- Visit the Center for Academic and Career Engagement for interview practice and tips.
- Visit the Writing Center for help with your application.
- Make an appointment to speak with a member of the selection committee by contacting email@example.com
- Visit our Central Office in Towers Hall, Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm.