Student Staff Selection 2017-2018
The Office of Residential Education runs a Resident Assistant and Peer Educator application process for the 2017-2018 academic year in the late Winter and early Spring. Information regarding the application process and timeline for the positions is available below.
Please note that applications are made available to those that attend an information session.
New Applicant Process
Friday, January 20th, 2017 at 11:59PM- Online application due
Saturday, February 4th, 2017 – Group and individual interview day
Friday, February 17th, 2017 – Decision letters sent
Resident Assistants and Residential Peer Educators are both students that contribute to the success and well-being of students living on campus at Wagner. Student staff facilitates the development of an inclusive community on the floor and within the building they live through planning and implementing programs that uphold the Department’s mission and goals. Student Staff establishes relationships with all the residents of the floor and demonstrates availability and approachability to residents. Resident Assistants and Peer Educators serve as role models and representatives of Wagner College both on and off campus.
In addition to the specific job responsibilities listed below, both PEs and RAs are expected to possess a positive attitude which embraces the mission, policies, and procedures of Residential Education. Staff members are also expected to exercise good use of personal judgment to protect their credibility which is critical to their ability to perform this job.
In order to apply for a Resident Assistant or Peer Educator position, prospective candidates must attend one of the following information sessions. At these information sessions, the application process will be reviewed!
Thursday, October 13th at 7pm in Spiro 2
Thursday, October 20th at 7pm in Spiro 2
Tuesday, November 1st at 8pm in Spiro 2
Wednesday, November 16th at 9pm in Spiro 2
Sunday, November 20th at 4pm in Spiro 2
Monday, December 5th at 8pm in Spiro 2
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 at 9PM in Spiro 2
- Facilitate the development of an inclusive community on floor assigned.
- Plan and implement programs that uphold the Department’s mission and goals.
- Establishes relationships with all residents of the floor and demonstrates availability and approachability to residents.
- Respond to emergency and crisis situations.
- Serve on an on-call duty rotation.
- Participates in weekly staff meetings (Mondays at 9pm), Summer Training (typically 2 weeks prior to start of Fall Semester), Winter Training (typically half week prior to the start of Spring Semester), and other departmental functions.
- Serve as a role model and representative of Wagner College both on and off campus.
- Please feel free to review the job description from the 2015-2016 academic year: RA Job Description 2015-2016
- Participate in Residential Education Fall Training in August and Winter Training in January
- Serve as the Chair of one of the four Peer Educator focus areas: Alcohol and Other Drugs, General Health and Wellness, Healthy Relationships, or Diversity
- Assist in the planning and facilitation of building-wide programs
- Assist Resident Assistants plan and facilitate programs in their paired floor communities
- Assist with basic mediation situations as necessary
- Attend scheduled supervisory meetings with a member of Senior Staff
- Attend weekly Res Ed staff meetings
- Assist with coverage of both Homecoming and Songfest weekends
- Be available to support student successes and navigate student challenges
- Understand and follow the Campus Life Crisis Protocols
- Attend bi-weekly Peer Educator Team meetings
- Full-time student status
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5
- Good judicial standing with the College
- Appreciation of the mission of the department
- All rising Sophomore, Junior and Senior undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.
- An RA room
- A basic meal plan
- The compensation for the position equates to approximately $12,000. Thus, this benefit may impact financial aid packages. Academic scholarships or grants are reduced by $2,000 for all RAs receiving this type of financial aid because room and board are no longer billed to their account.
- If you have any concerns about changes in your financial aid package due to the RA position, please see a counselor in the Office of Financial Aid.
- A single room at a discounted rate
Some tips if you are thinking about applying
- Ask an RA.
- Visit the Center for Academic and Career Engagement for interview practice and tips.
- Visit the Writing Center for help with your application.
- Make an appointment to speak with a member of the selection committee by contacting email@example.com
- Visit our Central Office in Towers Hall, Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm.